X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Network won't connect

First off, I'm a relative Linux Newbie.
    I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and I know the install recognized my WiFi card on my laptop (Netgear 54g card, which I checked in the compatibility list elsewhere, before attempting the install).

My network is a Wireless + Wired Netgear router connected to my cable modem.
    I have 2 PC's and 1 wireless laptop (all running Win XP), all connecting to the web just fine.

In the GUI, I went to System/Networking
    Under the Connections tab, the Wireless connection eth2 is listed as active.
    Under Properties,
    I have 'enable this connection' checked
    I have the Network name populated
    I have the WEP key populated in ASCII
    The connection settings are set to DHCP

I cannot ping my router/gateway (192.168.0.1) and I cannot conect to the web of course.

What am I missing?
    Thanks for your help.

Re: Wireless Network won't connect

I've also tried entering a static IP address and making sure my router was set up correctly for that IP address (assigned the Laptop's MAC address to the IP etc...).

No change.

Does anyone have any insight as to how I can get my Dell Inspiron 8000 / Netgear Wifi card to work with Ubuntu, or should I just go back to Wincrap?

Comment

Fist thing to do is make sure eth2 refers to the wifi adapter or an onboard NIC.

Also, in Konsole do a ifconfig and a iwconfig and post the results of each.

I must add I'm a new Linux user too, but I'd be glad to help if I can...............

D.

Comment

Are you using Ubuntu or Kubuntu? If you're using Ubuntu, you'll find better help, I think, at ubuntuforums.org.

The reason I ask is that I don't think there's a menu listing System/Networking in Kubuntu.

You might want to try Knetworkmanager. If you do try it (you can install it using Adept), then you'll need to comment out all but the local loop lines in your /etc/network/interfaces file, because that file conflicts with network-manager.

So the sequence for trying network manager is:

1. Install knetworkmanager using Adept, Synaptic, or CLI:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install knetworkmanager
        2. Edit your /etc/network/interfaces file:
        Code:
        sudo kwrite /etc/network/interfaces
        by adding commenting out (adding the # sign at the beginning of the line) everything except the section referring to the local loop.

3. Start knetworkmanager. It probably won't work, but that will get the daemon running.

4. Reboot the computer.

See if knetworkmanager sees your wireless network.

Incidentally, my experience with cable modems, especially with Linux, is that you may need to restart the modem after you connect with Linux in order for the modem to see the computer.

Comment

Working...
        X