This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot into wireless network!

I recently removed Windows XP from my laptop completely and installed Kubuntu. It was pleasant and thanks to help from various sources (Ubuntu and Kubuntu forums and wikis), I was able to get the wireless on my laptop to work properly. In fact I'm writing this on my laptop now.

My only real problem is to set it up so it will boot up and into my WPA-PSK wireless network WITHOUT having to manually open Knetworkmanager and log into the network manually Any ideas as to how I can accomplish this would be greatly appreciated and I will post all my results as I get this laptop to the point of automatically logging into my network on boot up.

My configuration is a Compaq Presario R4125US laptop, Broadcom BCM4318 wireless NIC using latest Windows drivers and ndiswrapper version 1.8. Everything is great speed wise and connect wise. I can even connect to other networks in the apartment complex if they were open. However, I'm able to see three other networks other than my own which is better than Windows ever did
    Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Re: Can't boot into wireless network!

similar problem. i have a compaq presario v4000. upon every boot/logout whatnot i have to open the wireless assit. and reconnect. this is rather annoying. anyone know how to have it just *connect*?

Comment

At this time the only solution I've found is to keep Knetworkmanager in the system tray so it appears when you boot into the desktop. Then you can log in faster than having to use the menues. At least it's a start to a solution.
      Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

Same problem here. According to the doc, it's supposed to automatically connect if a wireless network is in the trusted network list. Mine is there, but I still have to manually connect after every reboot.

Comment

Rob_H, ok. Here's a suggestion that may help and get you up faster. Try using the KDE Wallet. You can set it up a couple of different ways. However, I have mine setup so that all i do is type my login password once for login and then again when Knetworkmanager (which is already in the system tray) accesses KDE Wallet to log into the network. This saves me mousing around for anything when I boot up my laptop. Hope this helps anyone.

Comment

Hmm... actually, I don't think I've seen the little wallet tray icon since upgrading to KDE 3.5.4, although under System Services, it says the KWallet daemon is running. How do you get to its UI?

It appears my WPA keys do get stored because I don't get prompted for them. But I still have to click on KNetworkManager and then on my wireless network every time I reboot.

Comment

Rob_H,

KDE Wallet can be access through System Settings/Security & Privacy. Under Wallet manager you can check "2 Show manager in system tray." Though you can also set it to close the KDE Wallet when the last application stops using it as well as set it for when it's unused for a certain length of time in the same screen under Security & Privacy.

Comment

MYSTERY SOLVED! It was not related to KDE Wallet, but thank you for the pointer.

The story is that my laptop has two wireless adapters. The internal one has never worked in Linux and I don't pay any attention to it, but the kernel module was being loaded for it. And it seems that if more than one wireless interface is present, KNetworkManager will not join any wireless network at boot time. (Or maybe it tried and failed to use the wrong one every time.) At any rate, I tried blacklisting the unused module and rebooted, and all of a sudden, everything worked as advertised!

Comment

Working...
                X