This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Laptops and Wireless Card Problems

OK. Here is the problem. I have three Dell Laptops ranging in various different formats. That however isn’t the real concern; it is how Kubuntu recognizes and starts a wireless card.

The first two are somewhat older machines that do not have a built in wireless card. Both of them I had to use NDISWRAPPER to get the PCMCIA wireless network cards working. They do great depending on which wireless networks I use. WPA I have to use KNETWORKMANAGER and WEP I have to use KWIFIMANAGER. I don’t know why I can’t get KNETWORKMANAGER to handle WEP, but I’ve had success with KWIFIMANAGER. With these two machines, everything appears OK until I decide to reboot or actually have it off and turn it back on without removing the PCMCIA card. Once on and the PCMCIA card was initialized at boot, I can’t get KWIFIMANGER or KNETWORKMANAGER to recognize or use the card. It has been an unusual occurrence and I can’t track the problem down anywhere. I do have NDISWRAPPER set to start at boot, so I don’t know where else to look. This hasn’t been real troublesome and so this is being written just for others to ponder. The real question I have is below:

The third Dell I’m trying to get Kubuntu to work on is a Lat. D810 with a built in wireless card. That card is and is being IDed by Kubuntu as a Dell Truemobile 1450 miniPCI wireless card with a BroadCom Chipset BCM4309. I can’t get it to activate no matter what driver I use with NDISWRAPPER. I went as far as using the GUI interface to install the Driver for NDISWRAPPER with no success. When I try to activate it through Command line or through Kubuntu Menu, it just simply does not activate. I think one reason why either KNETWORKMANAGER or KWIFIMANAGER doesn’t work with it either. Any ideas about this wireless card?

Re: Dell Laptops and Wireless Card Problems

Anyone try Kubuntu with a Dell D810? I really want Kubuntu on this machine. It's my workhorse.

Comment

Re: Dell Laptops and Wireless Card Problems

This is posted from my Dell D810!! Found an old wireless card. Took a long time to get it working. LinkSys WPC11 if I remember correctly. Still have to manually activate it and have to wait at least 15 minutes to receive an IP address from my DHCP server, but hey!, here I am. The built in wireless I could never get working . Oh well. Maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
      X