This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to enable internet access

The mistake with IP addresses indicates that you need to be careful. In your last message, you show your nameserver line as
    name server 162.168.0.1 the only line.
    If that's a true reading, then you need to change the first number to 192. I'm also not sure that 192.168.0.1 is your correct DNS server, since typically the DNS server is the ISP provider and not the router IP.

Given that you can ping the router, it is very unlikely that you can't get to the internet. First, correct the resolv.conf file. Second, check to see if the DNS address should really be the router address. Again, it's more like the ip address connecting to the internet than the internal router address.

Comment

thnx for pointing out the mistake but i am 90% sure it is only spelling mistake here in my post. i did not copied it form the file but typed it manuallay. anyhows verify it. more the DNS server is same i windows xp configuretion if as follows.
      .................................................. ............................
      Physical Address: 00-20-ED-2C-EF-48
      IP Address: 192.168.0.139
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
      DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
      WINS Server:
      .................................................. ...............................
      the images u can see also.

Comment

So you're able to ping 192.168.0.1 and that's also your DNS address and you can't get to the Internet? What response do you get from:
        Code:
        ping [url]www.yahoo.com[/url]
        ?

I'm sorry not to have been able to help. It is a situation I've never seen before. It is as though your router is blocking your access to the internet. If you have no firewalls running and you're not restricted by your system, then there's no way that I can think of that wouldn't permit an internet access. As I mentioned earlier, you sometimes need to re-start the cable modem after you've got the correct settings on the computer. But if you've done that and still nothing connects, then I can't think of any way to help.

Sorry.

Comment

thnx a lot for ur help. i could not ping any web site from its domain also. and resolve.conf was also correct. thnx for ur patience. actaully here in Pakistan poeple thinks the computers are only pentium and softwares are only windows so there is no concept for helping about linux or any other O/S. anyhows i think i would be able to access to internet in some future there is surely some problem in my local server but he or me both we can not point it out.
          anyhows thnx a lot. and next time u should keep in mind such strage situation while helping someone else

Comment

hi randcoop

i am also having network problems and i find that resolv.conf is empty.
            should it be empty??

thanks

Originally posted by randcoop
            The DNS server in Kubuntu is identified in the /etc/resolv.conf file.  To open files for editing, you need to use the Konsole and then enter your command:

Code:
            sudo kwrite /etc/resolv.conf
            In that file, you want a line that says:

Code:
            nameserver 192.168.0.1

Comment

If resolv.conf is empty, then your system hasn't identified a DNS server address. You can't reach the Internet without one. Typically, the resolv.conf file is filled with the line nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx automatically, because the DNS server is detected automatically.

When it isn't detected automatically, you can put in the line manually by editing the resolv.conf file.

How do you connect (or try to connect) to the Internet/network?

Comment

wow.
                this thing is new for me. that we can not enter nameserver manually.
                but in gnome there is a tab called DNS where user can enter a DNS address.
                hows abt that??
                i think i puts DNS address in /etc/resolve.conf file.

Comment

Gnome is simply providing a GUI for you to put the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by randcoop
                    Gnome is simply providing a GUI for you to put the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.
                    Can't you do that in KDE too, in systemsettings>networksettings>3rd tab

Comment

Can't you do that in KDE too, in systemsettings>networksettings>3rd tab
                      Absolutely. I usually use CLI. But if you like the GUI, use it.

Comment

In the /etc/resolv.config file the 'nameserver' should be one word not two .

YumaJim

Comment

Working...
                        X