This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to enable internet access

i have configured my internet connection with dhcp. the ip address, the default gateway and the netmask 255.255.255.0 etc.
    my sys is kubuntu 6.06. now i can not open the internet traffic. messenger or website. it simply mean althoug network is enabled but still no access to internet through my server.
    DSL connection is used by our cable net server.
    can any one help me in this regard
    i shall be very thankful.

Re: how to enable internet access

What NIC chipset do you have? There was some trouble with Davicom / Tulip chipset NICs. The NIC would initialize and get an address and then stop. There is a pretty easy fix though. Type 'lspci' to see the list of devices and you should see something for Ethernet Controller. If it says Davicom and Tulip then you can fix it with this:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...hlight=davicom

ricnmar

Comment

If you're using DHCP, you shouldn't need to put in any ip address to make it work. Typically with cable internet service providers, the cable modem needs to be reset each time a new computer (or operating system) connects to it in order to get the cable modem to assign an ip address.

So I would suggest configuring just for DHCP (no addresses or gateways) and then turning your cable modem off for about 30 seconds, then on again. See if you don't get assigned DHCP connection to the net.

Comment

it is a networka adapter. intel ve 100 pro. in our LAN every one is assigned a static ip address server has also so i had to enter all settings. i try ur solutio and then inform about result

Comment

the out put was this

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
          i yet tried the solution but same was the result.
          :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Comment

But if your company is assigning static addresses, then why are you configuring DHCP? Change DHCP to static and then configure your addresses as you did before.

So in /etc/network/interfaces, replace DHCP with static in the iface line for the interface (eth0,1,2,etc) that you're trying to set up.

Comment

thats right. i was thinking abt the solution as it was suggested to a user on ubuntu forums. but i could not find it again now i try it also.
              the file editing will may effect as in gui kde manager there is no such option as i think (probably).
              i had another idea why not i try to do it from readme i mean official readme of the company i.e. intel. it is included in driver folder i downloaded after googling about my adapter ( i did not know at that time my adapter is already installed).
              read me is as follows.
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Linux* Base Driver for the Intel(R) PRO/100 Family of Adapters
              ================================================== ============

September 10, 2004

Contents
              ========

- In This Release
              - Identifying Your Adapter
              - Building and Installation
              - Driver Configuration Parameters
              - Additional Configurations
              - Known Issues
              - Support

In This Release
              ===============

This file describes the Linux* Base Driver for the Intel(R) PRO/100 Family
              of Adapters, version 3.2.x. This driver supports 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.
              This driver includes support for Itanium(TM)2 and EM64T systems.

For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation
              supplied with your Intel PRO/100 adapter.

Identifying Your Adapter
              ========================

For more information on how to identify your adapter, go to the Adapter &
              Driver ID Guide at:

http://support.intel.com/support/net...o100/21397.htm

For the latest Intel network drivers for Linux, refer to the following
              website. In the search field, enter your adapter name or type, or use the
              networking link on the left to search for your adapter:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...port_intel.asp

Building and Installation
              =========================

To build a binary RPM* package of this driver run 'rpmbuild -tb
              <filename.tar.gz>'. Replace <filename.tar.gz> with the specific file name of
              the driver.

NOTES: For the build to work properly it is important that the currently
              running kernel MATCH the version and configuration of the installed
              kernel source. If you have just recompiled your kernel, reboot the
              system and choose the correct kernel to boot.

RPM functionality has only been tested in Red Hat distributions.

1. Move the base driver tar file to the directory of your choice. For
              example, use: /home/username/e100 or /usr/local/src/e100.

2. Untar/unzip the archive by entering the following, where <x.x.x> is the
              version number for the driver tar:

tar xfz e100-<x.x.x>.tar.gz

3. Change to the driver src directory by entering the following, where
              <x.x.x> is the version number for the driver tar:

cd e100-<x.x.x>/src/

4. Compile the driver module:

make install

The binary will be installed as below:

/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/net/e100/e100.[k]o

The install location listed above is the default locations. It may
              not be correct for certain Linux distributions. For more information, see
              the ldistrib.txt file included in the driver tar.

5. Install the module:

modprobe e100

6. Assign an IP address to the interface by entering the following, where
              <x> is the interface number:

ifconfig eth<x> <IP_address>

7. Verify that the interface works. Enter the following, where <IP_address>
              is the IP address for another machine on the same subnet as the interface
              that is being tested:

ping <IP_address>

Driver Configuration Parameters
              ===============================

The default value for each parameter is generally the recommended setting,
              unless otherwise noted.

Rx Descriptors: Number of receive descriptors. A receive descriptor is a data
              structure that describes a receive buffer and its attributes to the network
              controller. The data in the descriptor is used by the controller to write
              data from the controller to host memory. In the 3.0.x driver the valid range
              for this parameter is 64-256. The default value is 64. This parameter can be
              changed using the command

ethtool -G eth? rx n, where n is the number of desired rx descriptors.

Tx Descriptors: Number of transmit descriptors. A transmit descriptor is a data
              structure that describes a transmit buffer and its attributes to the network
              controller. The data in the descriptor is used by the controller to read
              data from the host memory to the controller. In the 3.0.x driver the valid
              range for this parameter is 64-256. The default value is 64. This parameter
              can be changed using the command

ethtool -G eth? tx n, where n is the number of desired tx descriptors.

Speed/Duplex: The driver auto-negotiates the link speed and duplex settings by
              default. Ethtool can be used as follows to force speed/duplex.

ethtool -s eth? autoneg off speed {10|100} duplex {full|half}

NOTE: setting the speed/duplex to incorrect values will cause the link to
              fail.

Event Log Message Level: The driver uses the message level flag to log events
              to syslog. The message level can be set at driver load time. It can also be
              set using the command

ethtool -s eth? msglvl n

Additional Configurations
              =========================

Configuring the Driver on Different Distributions
              -------------------------------------------------

Configuring a network driver to load properly when the system is started is
              distribution dependent. Typically, the configuration process involves adding
              an alias line to /etc/modules.conf as well as editing other system startup
              scripts and/or configuration files. Many popular Linux distributions ship
              with tools to make these changes for you. To learn the proper way to
              configure a network device for your system, refer to your distribution
              documentation. If during this process you are asked for the driver or module
              name, the name for the Linux Base Driver for the Intel PRO/100 Family of
              Adapters is e100.

As an example, if you install the e100 driver for two PRO/100 adapters
              (eth0 and eth1), add the following to modules.conf:

alias eth0 e100
              alias eth1 e100

Viewing Link Messages
              ---------------------
              In order to see link messages and other Intel driver information on your
              console, you must set the dmesg level up to six. This can be done by
              entering the following on the command line before loading the e100 driver:

dmesg -n 8

If you wish to see all messages issued by the driver, including debug
              messages, set the dmesg level to eight.

NOTE: This setting is not saved across reboots.

Ethtool
              -------

The driver utilizes the ethtool interface for driver configuration and
              diagnostics, as well as displaying statistical information. Ethtool
              version 1.6 or later is required for this functionality.

The latest release of ethtool can be found at:
              http://sf.net/projects/gkernel.

NOTE: This driver uses mii support from the kernel. As a result, when
              there is no link, ethtool will report speed/duplex to be 10/half.

NOTE: Ethtool 1.6 only supports a limited set of ethtool options. Support
              for a more complete ethtool feature set can be enabled by upgrading
              ethtool to ethtool-1.8.1.

Enabling Wake on LAN* (WoL)
              ---------------------------
              WoL is provided through the Ethtool* utility. Ethtool is included with Red
              Hat* 8.0. For other Linux distributions, download and install Ethtool from
              the following website: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel.

For instructions on enabling WoL with Ethtool, refer to the Ethtool man page.

WoL will be enabled on the system during the next shut down or reboot. For
              this driver version, in order to enable WoL, the e100 driver must be
              loaded when shutting down or rebooting the system.

NAPI
              ----

NAPI (Rx polling mode) is supported in the e100 driver. NAPI is enabled
              or disabled based on the configuration of the kernel. To override
              the default, use the following compile-time flags.

To enable NAPI, compile the driver module, passing in a configuration option:

make CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DE100_NAPI install

To disable NAPI, compile the driver module, passing in a configuration option:

make CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DE100_NO_NAPI install

See www.cyberus.ca/~hadi/usenix-paper.tgz for more information on NAPI.

Known Issues
              ============

NOTE: For distribution-specific information, refer to the ldistrib.txt file
              included in the driver tar.

Driver Compilation
              ------------------

When trying to compile the driver by running make install, the following
              error may occur:

"Linux kernel source not configured - missing version.h"

To solve this issue, create the version.h file by going to the Linux source
              tree and entering:

make include/linux/version.h.

Multiple Interfaces on Same Ethernet Broadcast Network
              ------------------------------------------------------

Due to the default ARP behavior on Linux, it is not possible to have
              one system on two IP networks in the same Ethernet broadcast domain
              (non-partitioned switch) behave as expected. All Ethernet interfaces
              will respond to IP traffic for any IP address assigned to the system.
              This results in unbalanced receive traffic.

If you have multiple interfaces in a server, either turn on ARP
              filtering by

(1) entering: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter
              (this only works if your kernel's version is higher than 2.4.5), or

(2) installing the interfaces in separate broadcast domains (either
              in different switches or in a switch partitioned to VLANs).

Support
              =======

For general information, go to the Intel support website at:

http://support.intel.com

If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported
              kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to
              the issue to linux.nics@intel.com.

License
              =======

This software program is released under the terms of a license agreement
              between you ('Licensee') and Intel. Do not use or load this software or any
              associated materials (collectively, the 'Software') until you have carefully
              read the full terms and conditions of the LICENSE located in this software
              package. By loading or using the Software, you agree to the terms of this
              Agreement. If you do not agree with the terms of this Agreement, do not
              install or use the Software.

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i have observed one thing more. plz see first the my xp sys configuration ( i have dual boot xp 2006 and kubuntu DD)
                ---------------------------------------------------------------
                Physical Address: 00-20-ED-2C-EF-48
                IP Address: 192.168.0.139
                Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
                Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
                DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
                WINS Server:
                ----------------------------------------------------------------
                there is default gateway but no DNS server in linux system. while it exists in xp system u can see the configuration. where to enter this one.
                and i also observed server is responding i can not send the data. when i try to open a webage there is no activitiy in lower moniotr of knemon ( the network monitor) but upward monitor blinks frequently.
                thnx a lot for providing me attention. i will wait for more suggesstions.

Comment

The DNS server in Kubuntu is identified in the /etc/resolv.conf file. To open files for editing, you need to use the Konsole and then enter your command:

Code:
                  sudo kwrite /etc/resolv.conf
                  In that file, you want a line that says:

Code:
                  nameserver 192.168.0.1
                  The rest of your configuration can be edited using:

Code:
                  sudo kwrite /etc/network/interfaces
                  As I mentioned earlier, your line for your connection (assuming eth1 is your wireless) would be:

Code:
                  iface eth1 inet static
                  Below that line, you can enter other configuration elements.

Once you've made these changes, then try to start the connection with the lines:

Code:
                  sudo ifdown eth1
                  sudo ifup eth1
                  If you make these changes and it still doesn't work, then post here the results of ifconfig, iwconfig, and the lines you've put in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf.

Comment

thnx a lot. i will provide the result as soon as possible. can not do it currently my younger brother is watching a movie on xp system.

Comment

IFCONFIG:::::::::::
                      eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:ED:2C:EF:48
                      inet addr:191.168.0.139 Bcast:191.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
                      inet6 addr: fe80::220:edff:fe2c:ef48/64 Scope:Link
                      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                      RX packets:3912 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                      TX packets:194 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                      RX bytes:396504 (387.2 KiB) TX bytes:8664 (8.4 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
                      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                      inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                      RX packets:238 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                      TX packets:238 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                      RX bytes:21071 (20.5 KiB) TX bytes:21071 (20.5 KiB)
                      .................................................. ...............................................
                      ROUTE::::::::::
                      Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
                      191.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
                      default 191.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
                      .................................................. ..............................................
                      IWCONFIG::::::::::
                      o no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.
                      .................................................. ..............................................

PING::::::::::::::
                      From 191.168.0.139 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
                      .................................................. .................................................. ..
                      these are the outputs. and in /etc/resolv.conf file there was nothing i added only that line i.e. nameserver 192.168.0.1
                      .................................................. .................................................. ...................
                      /etc/network/interfaces
                      auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback
                      address 127.0.0.1
                      netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
                      iface eth0 inet static
                      address 191.168.0.139
                      netmask 255.255.255.0
                      gateway 191.168.0.1

auto eth1
                      iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
                      iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
                      iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
                      iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                      .................................................. ..........
                      these are all required outputs.

Comment

When you ping your router/gateway, what's the response?

If the network is unreachable, then I think you might be wrong about the assignment of a static ip address for your computer. If the ping to the gateway gets a response, then I think the problem is with the nameserver address.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmm
                          there was a mistake i was using 191 instead of 192 it should be 192.168.0.1.
                          but changing doest not work also. i provide its output also.

Comment

Re: now i can ping also but not internet

pinging is working fine telling me there is a network existing. but sitll no eccess to internet. neither by ip nor by www.something.com method. the out puts are here once again.
                            .................................................. .................................................. .........................

sameel@sameel-desktop:~$ ifconfig
                            eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:ED:2C:EF:48
                            inet addr:192.168.0.139 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
                            UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                            RX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                            TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                            RX bytes:31596 (30.8 KiB) TX bytes:1754 (1.7 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
                            inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                            UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                            RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                            TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                            collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                            RX bytes:172 (172.0 b) TX bytes:172 (172.0 b)

.................................................. ...............................................
                            Kernel IP routing table
                            Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
                            192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
                            default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

o no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

ameel@sameel-desktop:~$ ping 192.168.0.1
                            PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=1.44 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.247 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=0.266 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=0.263 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=128 time=0.267 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=128 time=0.267 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=128 time=0.256 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=128 time=0.277 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=128 time=0.530 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=128 time=0.461 ms
                            64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=128 time=0.650 ms

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
                            11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 10000ms
                            rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.247/0.448/1.449/0.342 ms
                            .................................................. ................................................
                            /etc/network/interfaces
                            auto lo
                            iface lo inet loopback
                            address 127.0.0.1
                            netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
                            iface eth0 inet static
                            address 192.168.0.139
                            netmask 255.255.255.0
                            gateway 192.168.0.1

auto eth1
                            iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
                            iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
                            iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
                            iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                            .................................................. ......................................
                            and /etc/resolv.config
                            name server 162.168.0.1 the only line.

Comment

a new observation i made. i thought there may be a firewall blockage problem with my server i.e. server's firewall blcking the communication to interne. but when i asked my cable net provider abt it he said there is nor firewall active for my connection. he pointed out about ISA the client who controles the networking in xp. i think there should be some equilent software in linux what is its name. there may be its problem. more by using ''lspci | grep Eth'' command and the output said driver is loading for e100. and the next command ''lsmod | grep mii" told me the system is recognizing the hardware as it is.
                              so any more ideas.
                              thnx for ur patience for providing me help but i think it may not be possible for me to configure my cable net for linux

Comment

Working...
                              X