This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set static DNS

I just install a CNet router in my home to share my cable modem. It works fine, just that it give it own ip as DNS. This work on window$, slow but it work, so i chage de DNS manualy. But on Kubuntu it doesn't work at all. Any way I want my IPS DNS, so I change it. The problem is that evry x minutes it reset it and i lost my connection, or when i restart. I set my ip address static and it work. But i would like to have dynamic IP but Static DNS. Is that posible? I try using GUI tools and editing /etc/resolv.conf manually, both settings are lost when reboot or whiting a few minutes.

Re: How to set static DNS

Are you completely loosing the connection every sometimes ? If yes what is your card, it may be then a known problem.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sky
      Are you completely loosing the connection every sometimes ? If yes what is your card, it may be then a known problem.

Cheers
      I'm having a similar problem. I use an NB5 adsl2 modem router on dhcp but when I set primary and secondary dns in System Settings /network settings, they only stay there for the session. Upon reboot they are gone and all that's there is 192.168.1.1, this works ok for browsing (very slow) but I can't connect to Ubuntu servers without my primary and secondary dns. How do I get network settings to hold my dns settings?

Comment

Hi,

It should be troubles with your modem routeur settings... Check the configuration site of it to unset it as dns, only to forward used dns to all other computers, then kubuntu should get it from there and register automatically them... It's because of this that it's unsetting it each reboot.

If you want to be sure, just write them well in the file /etc/resolv.conf but i'm sure they will be changed on next time.

good luck

Comment

can you set within the router the DNS addresses that you use
          most routers have this in the connection settings

also install dnsmasq via synaptic its a small caching/resolving server which sits on the system ...

Comment

If you modify your /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf and add the line "prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;" (obviously filling in the appropriate IP of your DNS server), it will append the appropriate line to the top of your /etc/resolv.conf whenever your IP gets renewed. Should fix your problem (I had the exact same problem behind my router - original thread is here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...28742#msg28742).

Comment

Working...
            X