This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best Wi-Fi adapter

I've spent 2 days now tearing my hair out fiddling with my USB adapters from Linksys and Belkin - rt73 and rt2500 chips inside.

If I resolve to go out any buy another adapter - either USB or PCI (or even PCMCIA, although this is for a desktop) then what's the best chipset I can go for ?

I'm looking for out of the box and it works, as I can't afford much more time.

Any ideas out there please ? Thanks

Re: What's the best Wi-Fi adapter

Look here for pcmcia

I don't have much experience with desktops and wifi as I have never needed to use one. However, it seems as if the Atheros, Orinoco, and Prism chipsets seem to work the best for Linux. Hopefully someone will come around with a desktop and wifi card that can tell you their experiences. If I hear anything, I will make sure to let you know. Good luck!!!
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

I'm actually looking for this too. I was wondering if anyone knew the best USB wifi adapter for Kubuntu. I have the dreaded Broadcom 4318 and I've been working on it for 2 days straight. I'm exhausted and I'm about to put a bullet in my brain. I need a good wifi adapter for my Acer Aspire 5002WLMi with an AMD Turion 64. I'm at my wits end. I was looking for something cheap, but native to Linux.

Comment

I have a desktop working with a PCI card that accepts PCMCIA cards for a desktop PC. I'm using an Orinoco based PCMCIA card without any problems.

So I suppose the answer for you might be to get hold of one of these PCMCIA to PCI cards and slap the PCMCIA card of your coice into your desktop.

Take it easy.............. FabreFaction
        &quot;Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don&#039;t add up.&quot;&nbsp; James Magary

Comment

Originally posted by underpressure116
          I'm actually looking for this too. I was wondering if anyone knew the best USB wifi adapter for Kubuntu. I have the dreaded Broadcom 4318 and I've been working on it for 2 days straight. I'm exhausted and I'm about to put a bullet in my brain. I need a good wifi adapter for my Acer Aspire 5002WLMi with an AMD Turion 64. I'm at my wits end. I was looking for something cheap, but native to Linux.
          I have also Acer Aspire 5024WLMi with Broadcom Wireless BCM4318 but I don't need other wifi card. BCM4318 works perfectly with Ndiswrapper and acer_acpi kernel module. You should check it!! Type on google.com: acer acpi

best reg

Comment

I'm a totaly Linux noob (Ive toyed with a few distros before, but ALWAYS the wifi side let most of them down).

I installed Kubuntu 6.06 yesterday, and to my delight, it picked up my wifi adapter and configured it via DHCP. I was gobsmacked!!

It's a cheap Safecom SWLU-5400 with a Zydas ZD1211 chipset. Ebuyer here in the UK sell them for around £14, or what looks like a slightly newer version SWLUZ.

I even managed to install Firefox..........

D.

Comment

hey, I use a Netgear WAG511g on my laptop. Kubuntu set it up on bootup. Didn't have to do anything. I also use a Dlink DI524 router. Everything does what it's sposed to..

Comment

I'm using an asus wl-107g pcmcia with my laptop, which is also rt2500 based and it worked with no extra effort required on my part.
                It may be that the problem has more to do with running a usb adapter than with the chipset used.

Comment

I am using a wireless bridge (I think it is sometimes called a wireless gaming device). The cool thing about it is that it plugs into your ethernet port so there are no problems with getting it set up in linux - in fact, you don't have to set it up because it connects to your box with an ethernet cable. And it's still a wireless device so you get the best of both worlds. And they are not that much more expensive than other wireless devices. I got mine at www.tigerdirect.com.

john

Comment

Working...
                  X