X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipw 2915 and wpa

Hi everybody.

I`ve just installed Kubuntu on my Dell C400 laptop with an intel 2915 minipci card and everything works perfectly except my wireless.

If i use Wireless Assistant I can detect my wlan, but I can`t connect since it doesn`t support wpa.

I`ve searched the forums and tried out wpasupplicant, but I just can`t get it to work.

I`ve also tried a program called kwlan but it didnt`t do the trick either, I just get a timeout when it tries to get an ip.

So is there an definitive guide on how to setup wpa, or do I have to downgrade my network to wep? (ive searched, but maybe not good enough)

Sorry if there are any typos, English isn`t my first language.

Re: Ipw 2915 and wpa

Hi, phrode:

The easiest package for wireless networking with WPA support on Kubuntu is kNetworkManager.

Using "Add/Remove Programs", install the package for kNetworkManager. I'm not sure whether it's listed as NetworkManager, Network Manager, or kNetworkManager. This application supports connection to WPA networks and is easy to use.

Further information is here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...NetworkManager

Best of luck!

Mark
    Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Re: Ipw 2915 and wpa

I use kNetworkManager with a WPA1 wireless router.
      I couldn't get it to work without enabling DHCP on the router though.
      Until I enabled DHCP, kNetworkManager would get to around 28% and just sit there.

As the rest of my network at home uses static IP locked to MAC, I set the DHCP range to start with the IP address of my wireless card and end with the same, i.e. a DHCP range of 1. This way I could still use the MAC access control list as the wireless card is always going to get the same DHCP IP address. 8)

Now I can connect without any problems.

kNetworkManager is available through ADEPT, but you do need to enable the Multiverse repository (if I remember correctly).

Hope this helps
      &quot;Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don&#039;t add up.&quot;&nbsp; James Magary

Comment

Working...
      X