X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

general network connection problem.

Hi.
    I have received my Kubuntu 6.06 LTS cd yesterday and proceeded
    to install it. After some problems at the "APT configuration", it finally installed.

Upon rebooting, i found out some oddities.

1) the Konqueror browser would not browse any other website but google.
    Every other webpage refuses to load, even after using every possible proxy
    setting, with the right address. The google search results however, show.
    So google works, nothing else.

2) Using the irc-client, I could connect to exactly one irc-server without problem,
    a private one. Connections to freenode would go through from time to time,
    but once the motd showed up, it would freeze and the lag-meter would increase untill ping timeout. When reconnected, it would repeat that behaviour.

3) upon ssh'ing to another shell, the terminal would freeze even after a simple "ps aux" or invoking an irc session from the remote server.
    It would not respond anymore, not even to CTRL-commands once it froze.

The ping tool worked fine on all those servers, /etc/resolv.conf looks correct,
    so does the network settings that were showed.

So basically: I can only browse to google.com, and can only reach the MOTD
    of irc-servers before network latency builds up and my connection to them
    freezes.

I am using a cable modem (which supports 4 ip addresses) through a small
    hub (or whatever that thing is called that splits the cable modem to different
    connections).

Note that the network under XP (which is dual-booted) works flawlessly.
    Has anyone some input to share with me, or suggestions ?
    I would appreciate it a lot, Kubuntu looks like the perfect alternative for XP.

-Angelo

Re: general network connection problem.

I am having the exact same problem. I have to unplug and reset my router after every (wired) LAN command. URLs, Adept or Synaptic updates, etc. Anything requiring the internet gets dropped, except Google and Gmail, but even those only work the first couple of times and then it's back to resetting the router even for that.

I agree, Kubuntu seems the perfect alternative for Winduhs, but not if I keep doing this everytime.

Oh, and I also run dual boot and Winduhs works fine with the router. Is there a patch or something that we're missing? Thanks from a newbie....

~Gary

Comment

Re: general network connection problem.

I found out that Dapper has a problem with the Navicom driver. If your ethernet card is a Navicomm/Tulip card, then this link will tell you how to correct it.

You probably know this, but to find out if your card is Navicomm, go to KInfoCenter, choose PCI in the left window, and scroll down to your Ethernet Controller. If it say "Navicom Semiconductor, DEC/Tulip Compatible" then you need to follow the instructions in this link. It fixed mine completely. And it was easy to do so. Hope this helps.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186430

Comment

Working...
      X