This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with wireless on a Dell Inspiron 700m

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop. When I go into > System Settings > Network Setttings > it lists both of my network devices. However everytime I try and enable the wireless, it disables itself within a second. I realize that it is a Broadcom card, (I know how much they hate Linux), but I was told that this card was actually supported without needing NDISwrapper. I don't know what is causing my problem and it just may be some simple menu setting, but is there anyway I can get this running without NDISwrapper? If so, be very specific. I am a pretty experienced Windows user but pretty much a Linux noob. I have been trying to switch to Linux for over a year, but stuff like this keeps me coming back to Windows. I can't use NDISwrapper because I was wanting to run some programs that won't work with NDIS.

Re: Help with wireless on a Dell Inspiron 700m

I had the same problem, Took over one month no internet wireless, but I was told to try the new ndiswrapper, I used the new ndiswrapper and now my broadcom 4318 works. Try downloading the new ndiswrapper 1.1.7 and see if that helps. After installing it, type sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Comment

Is there anyway to get wireless running WITHOUT NDISwrapper? I heard support for this driver is in the kernel.

Comment

How I got my broadcom to work in under 5 minutes in Xubuntu Dapper Drake.
        Step 1: Get the ndiswrapper utils
        Step 2: Get the GTK frontend
        Step 3: Download Drivers for your card
        Step 4: Look under system for GTK frontend
        Step 5: Install Driver
        Step 6: Add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules
        step 7: Blacklist bcom43xx
        Step 8: Reboot computer
        Step 9: Configure Wireless

That's it. Took me about 5 minutes on my Dell 1300 and my wireless works awesome.

Whil

Comment

Working...
        X