X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connect to router

Hello,

I want to build a small network at home, well, here in university halls.
    We have a halls network, where we can normally plug in our computers. I have now plugged in my "BT Voyager 240" ADSL router, and want to use it as a hub. When I plugged in my Windows PC, the connection worked straight away... but when I plug in my Linux laptop it doesnt connect to the internet.
    Can anyone help please.

Thank you,
    Jenny

Re: connect to router

When I had DSL, I had two choices to get on the network with it - I could either install their windows software, which included a login name/password, or setup PPPoE directly in my router which also included the login name/password. For a single computer setup, the win software was fine, but if I wanted more comps, I had to use the PPPoE on the router.

If you ADSL modem can also act as a router, you may need to configure PPPoE on it, otherwise you may only get just the windows box to work.

I don't know what exact setup you have, but I have had a DSL modem to a Linksys Wireless Router/Switch which then connects directly via ethernet cable or wireless cards to the other computers I have.

Beemer

Comment

Hello,

The device I am using to connect to the "university halls network" is a router (by the brand BT). I do not have a network provider as such, because I connect to the halls network directly. When I plug my laptop into the socket in the wall, I can get internet access straight away... it just doesnt work when I plug it into the router.

What can I do about this?
      Thanks,
      Jenny

Comment

I have done a bit more searching, and have found a similar post... however it didnt get an answer.
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=6290.0
        But it does suggest some tests I can do, so I have done them, and these are the results.
        Code:
        # more /etc/network/interfaces
        Gives me the result that I use dhcp.

when I type
        Code:
        #ifconfig
        the post I referenced suggests to look for a gateway address... I am not sure...
        for eth0, i get:
        Link encap:Ethernet
        Hardware address
        inet address
        Bcast address
        Mask
        inet6 address
        Scope: Link

then I have some addresses listed for eth1 and something called "lo" (l = laughing), but i dont think they are important, right?

When I type
        Code:
        # more /etc/resolv.conf
        I do get a nameserver listed, so that can't be the problem.

Anyway, this is all that is suggested in the post I referenced above, but there is not solution to the problem.

Can anyone help?
        Thanks,
        Jenny

Comment

I experienced somthing similar when I moved back home, and brought a linksys router with me. My parents use a DSL modem, so I thought I will plug its cable into the router, and then rely on my wireless for my laptop, and have them continue using the desktop.

It did not work as expected, and it took me a while to figure out why...

To start with, both the modem and the router had the same default IP address, 192.168.1.1. When I typed it in my browser, I would reach the router's setup page. Once I changed the router's default ip to 192.168.2.1, then suddenly everything worked. Just make sure you find the settings with the default gateway, and specify 192.168.2.1 there. This way, your computer will know that the connection will go through the router. By the way, oftentimes, the default router password is admin, in case you get a prompt asking for one, and the user name field should be left blank.

Now everything works like a charm, and we have a happy internet home! I hope this little trick works for you.

Comment

Working...
          X