This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq onboard wifi resets

Ok I just installed Dapper and the install went quick with no problems.

When I go to enable the wifi in the system settings it just enables for 1 sec and then disbales it.
    I did use dhclient and that didn't work.
    So what should I look for?

Re: Compaq onboard wifi resets

When the system enables for a second or two and then promptly disables, it usually indicates a problem with dhcp. Personally, I know nothing about wireless, but this is a common problem. I'd suggest searching the forums (the third blue button, above) and/or looking at the ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Home

Comment

The dhcp is %100 ok. I'm actually using my laptop right now hooked up wired. It's only the wifi that is having problems.

Comment

I'm still hung up on what to do. Should I install ndiswrapper and see how that goes?

Comment

UPDATE

I installed Ndiswrapper for my Broadcom 4318 onboard wifi
          I used the both drivers from the compaq website and they didn't work or were invalid.
          So what is the deal here?

Comment

Please search the forums. Other people have had problems with the Broadcom 4318 and have solved them. Use the solutions they suggest. You might also search the Ubuntu Wiki. I believe they have a page on this particular wireless adapter, they certainly have about Broadcom wireless.

Comment

It was tough but I finally searched and found it deep deep inside the ubuntu forums.

Comment

If you're still having issues with finding a good ndiswrapper file for your Compaq laptop with the Broadcom 4318 chipset try SP31463.exe jackripper. I have a Compaq R4125US laptop with the same chipset and was able to get Dapper up with ndiswrapper from this driver build from Compaq/HP. If you have problems finding the file, drop me an email and I'll send you the file. I'm typing this message on my laptop right now and connected to a home network running WPA security. Only issue I've still to resolve is getting the operating system to connect to the network on boot without having to go into Knetworkmanager to log on everytime I reboot. Hope this helps.
                Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

Working...
                X