X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wlan reconised but doesnt do anything

hey,

today i got my new laptop, a fujitsu siemens amilo a 1667g, the first thing i did was to install the new version of kubuntu x64 (laptop has a amd athlon 64). everything went fine until i wanted to use my wireless network. kubuntu does seem to reconize it but it is disabled in network settings. so i tried to enable it but within 1 sec it is disabled again. so got a long cat5 cable and started looking on the net but so far no real luck.

after a few minutes it seemed clear to me that i had to use ndiswrapper to solve my problem so installed it and used a the windows driver for the wlan. it did seem to do something but in the end it still didnt do anything. i guess the following config files might be usefull to help me.

/etc/iftab
    Code:
    # This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces.
    # See iftab(5) for syntax.

eth0 mac 00:03:0d:38:6c:03 arp 1
    eth1 mac 00:14:a5:41:54:7f arp 1
    /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    the output of ifconfig
    Code:
    eth0   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:0D:38:6C:03
         inet addr:192.168.1.37 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
         inet6 addr: fe80::203:dff:fe38:6c03/64 Scope:Link
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
         RX packets:5831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:4208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
         RX bytes:7313121 (6.9 MiB) TX bytes:498905 (487.2 KiB)
         Interrupt:50 Base address:0x4400

lo    Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
         inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
         RX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:272 (272.0 b) TX bytes:272 (272.0 b)
    and iwconfig
    Code:
    lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0   no wireless extensions.

eth1   IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
         Mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid  Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
         RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
         Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
         Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0

sit0   no wireless extensions.
    hope thats enough info for someone to give me a hand.

cheers,

the crazy dutch bastard

Re: Wlan reconised but doesnt do anything

Please take a look at this wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Comment

thanks for your fast reply.

well i did that but since my laptop has 4318 chipset the firmware option doesnt work and so had to use ndiswrapper but when i reboot now my system hangs it self when i gets to loading the nework devices.
      any suggestions cause now i cant get into the system

Comment

Re: same problem on the broadcom 4318

I have the same problem, on the broadcom 4318, so I am using windows now, see my previous message

Comment

well thats not the kind of answer i wanted to hear 1richard. i will continue trying to get it work

Comment

I reinstalled kubuntu and tried again to get my lovely wlan to work. i installed it and then tryed it without rebooting by typing sudo modprobe ndiswrapper and my wlan worked. so i was happy and rebooted but then while booting the network the computer hangs itself up. so....... i guess if i somehow could get passed the booting of the network and then manually boot ndiswrapper. or what do you people think.

Comment

Please define "the computer hangs itself up". At what stage does it happen? What exactly happens? Do you get any messages? What does the screen look like? Right now, all I can think is that I have absolutely no idea what happened!

Comment

well with the computer hangs itself up i mean: when kubuntu boots you have the logo and the progressbar, underneath it you can see what is being loaded at that moment. in my case my computer stops or seems to stop when the line "*configuring network interfaces.."shows up. no error message shows up it just seems to halt. I tired to boot into safe mode and i will just give you the last few lines.
                Code:
                *Configuring network interfaces...
                [46.720857] ndiswrapper verion 1.8 loaded (preempt=yes ,smp=yes)
                [46.799535] ndiswrapperndiswrapper (load_pe_image :571) : fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in the driver
                [46.802783] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (broadcom,02/11/2005, 3.100.64.0)loaded
                [46.823092] GSI 23 sharing vector 0x42 and IRQ23
                [46.852175] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0a.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 66
                [46.954727] ndiswrapper: using irq 66
                [236.701726]wlan0: vendor: ''
                [236.767404]wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:14:a5:41:54:71 using driver bcmwl5, 14E4:4318.5.conf
                [254.484714]wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; IKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA", WPA2PSK
                hope this described my problem better

Comment

I guess it just hangs. Stalling for 190 seconds while trying to start ndiswrapper (unless you left out a lot of lines between 46.954.. and 236.701..) is just not normal. As a point of reference, my machine is fully booted up in 53 seconds.

I am reluctant to suggest it, but I suspect that you would be better off if you waited to activate your wireless card until after boot up and started it with a script. Normally, networking is started early in the boot process for some very good reasons.

Comment

yeah without booting the wirless card it boots within 1 min. well you suggest using a script any example you could give me and how do i make sure the card does not boot at boot?

Comment

how do i make sure the card does not boot at boot?
                      That's the hard part. The problem is that you cannot simply remove the entry /etc/rcS that initiates networking because you need things like your wired ethernet card to get a dhcp lease and set the time. The network is brought up by the command "ifup -a" in the /etc/init.d/networking script. This command starts all the network interfaces that are listed as auto in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Unfortunately in Dapper, all the network interfaces are listed as auto.

I would comment out all the interfaces except lo, the loopback interface and either eth0 or eth1 (whichever one is your wired ethernet card) in /etc/network/interfaces, but I don't know what to substitute for the wlan0 line. Then I would go to the script /etc/rc.local (which is the last script started) and add the appropriate lines there. The problem is that I don't know what the appropriate lines are, I would suspect that in rc.local you want "modprobe ndiswrapper" and "ifup wlan0", but I'm just guessing, and I haven't any idea what to use for wlan0 in interfaces.

Comment

Working...
                      X