This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network speed problem, computer+router

hi. i'm as new as they come to linux, i just dled ubuntu first then kubuntu, and one thing i noticed different about them, is that for some reason when i'm using kubuntu if i leave the computer alone for a while it will basically kill my internet connection, which makes me have to disable the interface for eth0 and enable and then for some reason it goes away again, and i have tried all browsers nothing matters, it does it to my ktorrent too!

i have no clue what the problem is, i'm running kubuntu on a inspiron 6000 with a internal broadcom ethernet card and we have a BEFSR41 v.4 linksys router....

please any help

Re: network speed problem, computer+router

I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 on a Dell Inspiron 600m (among other computers) through a Linksys BEFSR41 with no problems. So I suspect that your problem has to do with a config file that was set up inappropriately by the Kubuntu installer. BTW, there should be no difference in this behavior between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, (at least, as far as I know).

In (K)Ubuntu, the main file for configuring your internet connection is called /etc/network/interfaces. Your ethernet interface is called "eth0" and (grossly over-simplifying) it is setup to recieive a dhcp lease (a temporary internet address) from your router/switch. However, if you have your Linksys set up to provide static ip addresses, or to provide very short leases, this won't work properly. So the first thing to do is to verify that your Linksys box is set up to provide DHCP rather than static addresses. If it si set up to provide static addresses you will have to change your "interfaces" file.

Comment

Working...
    X