Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

joining a domain - easy in XP, not so with kubuntu !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joining a domain - easy in XP, not so with kubuntu !

hi

i use a SuSE 10 box running Samba3 as a PDC with roaming profiles for my home LAN which, to date, has consisted of all XP boxes

XP users authenticate to the domain in the normal ctrl-alt-del way much beloved of Our Beloved Leader Unkle Bill and all the the various 'My Documents' folders on the XP clients are all pointed at the appropriate users /home directories on the PDC

this enables a single admin (me!) to be responsible for everyone's backups etc and works OK

so ..... now i have my own machine setup to dual boot XP Pro (which i cannot completely abandon because of some legacy accounting soft - well i might try Win4Lin Pro but dual booting's OK really) and kubuntu 6.06 DD

in kubuntu i can log onto my share on the PDC as it seen as a standard SMB share and i just have to enter the password - works right 'out of the box' which is nice

what i really want to do though is permanently/persistently (whichever is the correct term) map my /home directory on the kubuntu client machine to the appropriate share on the PDC - exactly as i do in XP - preferably without having to log on a second time as i do now

essentially i want 'My Documents' in XP and /home in kubuntu to be the same folder on the PDC

there's loads of stuff out there on Win clients joining Samba/NT domains, but relatively little on joining linux clients

any 'gurus' out there with the answer ?

thanks for all and any help you can give

neill

Re: joining a domain - easy in XP, not so with kubuntu !

Linux doesn't recognize domains the way Windows clients do. If you want a central authenticating mechanism for all your lan clients, you want winbind.

This article gives an overview:
    http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3499006

The followup covers integrating with Active Directory, which doesn't help you. But this official Samba doc should:
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...n/winbind.html

Comment

Re: joining a domain - easy in XP, not so with kubuntu !

Have you tried mounting a CIFS filesystem in your kubuntu box?

$sudo mount -t cifs //server/data /home/jferrando/server -o credentials=/etc/smbc.jordi,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8

The credentials file contains (/etc/smbc.jordi):
      username=jordi
      password=xxxx
      and is chmod 600 (only root readable). You can also try an init.d script as follows:

root@alcudia:/etc/init.d# cat mount_cifs
      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # mount_cifs - Mounts samba filesystems
      # Written by Jordi Ferrando jferrando@netplc.com
      # Kubuntu.dapper

MOUNT="/bin/mount"
      UMOUNT="/bin/umount"

start() {
      echo "Start cifs filesystems..."
      mount -t cifs //surera.netplc.com/datos /home/jferrando/csurera -o credentials=/etc/smbc.jordi,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8
      #echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
      echo "Cifs client mount end"
      }

stop() {
      echo "Cifs stop ..."
      $UMOUNT -l /home/jferrando/csurera
      echo "Umounted cifs filesystems"
      }

status() {
      echo "Cifs file systems ..."
      df
      }

restart() {
      echo "restart ..."
      stop
      start
      }

reload() {
      echo "start ..."
      stop
      start
      }

force_reload() {
      echo "force-reload ..."
      stop
      start
      }

case $1 in
      start)
      start
      ;;
      stop)
      stop
      ;;
      status)
      status
      ;;
      restart)
      restart
      ;;
      reload)
      reload
      ;;
      force-reload)
      force_reload
      ;;
      *)
      echo "Usage: mount_cifs {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status}"
      ;;
      esac

exit 0

And then enable the auto-start of the script
      $ sudo update-rc.d mount_cifs defaults

Anyway, CIFS does not work very well for me (see my last post CIFS woes), and I prefer use FUSE filesystem SSHFS for the time being. I would like to use CIFS, because of FUSE lacks very basic features (file locking), but I only have problems with CIFS, not to mention the UID/GID mappings between the server and the clients. Of course, I can always disable unix extensions = no on my samba server, but then I loose other useful unix extensions.

Sorry for the long reply.

Comment

Working...
      X