X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheros Communications, Inc. will not work at boot

Greetings,

As I said in the subject when I boot the laptop the wireless network will not work without me going into System Settings, Network Settings, Admin Mode, right click the card, disable, and then enable and it works.

Any suggestions? RX errors also are a concern.

lspci shows:
    Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

sudo ifconfig ath0 shows:
    ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:96:72:36:6B
    inet addr:192.168.1.166 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::290:96ff:fe72:366b/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:14571 errors:148756 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:148756
    TX packets:10240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:200
    RX bytes:12949403 (12.3 MiB) TX bytes:1264720 (1.2 MiB)
    Interrupt:193 Memory:e0bc0000-e0bd0000

thanks

mld4165

Re: Atheros Communications, Inc. will not work at boot

Look at some the links on this wiki page. Especially, the wireless troubleshooting guide. This should get you started.

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WirelessChip...t=%28AR5212%29

according to this it should just work..?

not on mine.

mld4165

Comment

Have you downloaded the "linux-restricted-modules-<your kernel>" package? That package includes the "madwifi" module. <your kernel> is the output of the konsole command "uname -r".

Comment

yes they have been installed form the begining.

mld4165

Comment

The ifconfig output that you show indicates that you do have an IP address. Was that generated after you disable and re-enable the card, or before? If before, you shouldn't have to go through those steps because you are getting connected out of he box. If after, it may be that you're system is trying to enable the interface before it is ready.

At the very least, you can automate the process by writing a small script, and then calling it from /etc/rc.local. /etc/rc.local is the last thing executed by the boot system before logging in users. If even that isn't late enough, you can put the ifdown, ifup etc. script in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory, which obviously doesn't get executed until you log in.

Comment

The ifconfig output that you show indicates that you do have an IP address.
              I used a static ip hoping that would fix or help resolve the problem.

you can put the ifdown, ifup etc.
              an ifconfig ath0 down and then up does not resolve the problem. i have to go to System Settings, Network Settings, Admin Mode, right click the card, disable, and then enable and it works. seriously i have tried the script route.

funny thing is if I start the system and go to kwifimanger it is not connected. if i choose scan for networks it sees others but not mine, and then i go through System Settings, Network Settings, Admin Mode, right click the card, disable, and then enable and it works.

let me know if i can supply anymore information.

mld4165

Comment

Working...
              X