Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba Wifi & Loading Drivers Failed (now working)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Wifi & Loading Drivers Failed (now working)

I have Dapper installed on my desktop p3 1ghz.
    Also on my Toshiba Tecra 9000.

Works ok, I think a bit faster than Breezy. But....

When installing on laptop it found my wifi imediatly & updated through it, first boot went all ok. Then every boot up from then on I get Hardware Drivers Failed after a wait of about 5 mins, & wifi does not work.  I tried ndiswrapper after trying to follow a few how-tos but don't want to go down this route.

It worked with Breezy 99% of the time, worked 100% with install cd & I have re-installed twice & exactly the same happened every time.
    After a few days of searching (yes i really have been trying) I found that the Orinoco drivers are for my card & should be in my kernel.
    I really want to get this working so please if anyone has a solution can you post it here for me & others to follow.

Specs:
    Toshiba Tecra 9000
    Lucent Technologies Mini PCI (Blackcomb) MPCI3A-20
    Chips Agere
    All above copied of the card itself.

More info:
    The kwifi shows access point & my typed ssid but thats it.

Please again, any help appreciated.

Re: Wifi & Loading Drivers Failed

Hi Smurf,

Please check if the bcm43xx driver is loaded during boot.
    You can check with: lsmod | grep bcm43xx

If you want to use ndiswrapper you need to blacklist this driver first. Add the following: blacklist bcm43xx to the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

This makes sure that the bcm43xx driver will NOT be loaded during boot. You can now follow the ndiswrapper setup docu.

ndiswrapper -i ~/bcmwl5.inf
    ndiswrapper -m

The best thing now is to do a reboot. I know it can be done without, but this is easier.

after the reboot you wireless card should be detected by the KDE netwerk setup tool.

Regards,
    MoreLinux

Comment

I tried the above command but it just returned

usage lsmod

However, I will backlist & try the ndiswrapper again.
      Will post my results here.

Thank you, & wish me kuck....

Comment

No good....

Still have to wait ages for boot due to:
        Loading Hardware Drivers....... Fail

I did the ndiswrapper as above & still does not work.

So, why did the Dapper install CD find wifi & all work perfect yet my installed & updated Dapper does not?

Any additional help is appreciated. In the mean time I will see if i can find a way of looking at what hardware driver failed.

Comment

Not getting as much help as I hoped.

I thought this would be simply due to the fact the install CD finds & sets up wifi.

I have been nosing around trying to get some feedback & it appears other distros should support my wifi. I need my laptop & wifi to make my life easier regarding work, I think now is the time to be sensible & try another distro. I can't afford to spend any longer on this.

Thanks MoreLinux for trying to help.

Comment

Well, that's why you needed to check for the driver being loaded with

Code:
            lsmod | grep bcm
            Make sure you're entering the command correctly, because it should work. If you get nothing, try ndiswrapper after the "grep" instead. You might also check the output of dmesg and post back here with your findings.

If you decide to try another distro, good luck, but I would try to test it with a live cd version or something first, because often even cards that various distros claim will "just work" actually have problems due to each individual's unique setup. Many wireless cards just don't work well in any distro because their manufacturers are stubborn and refuse to support Linux in any way whatsoever, so just be aware of that. I don't blame you, though. There are things I love about Kubuntu, and I think it's moving in the right direction. I really do think it has the potential to be the best distro out there, but there are some things in Dapper that simply cannot be made to work without jumping through a lot of hoops that should not be necessary, and I need a machine with basic functionality. I'm thinking of trying a couple other distros myself. If you decide to try that route, good luck.

Comment

I also have a Toshiba laptop and posted a similar problem here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5512.0. Did you have Breezy installed before Dapper? I just wondered because Breezy worked fine for me, (without ndiswrapper), so the problem I have is Dapper specific.

Like you, I would rather solve this without ndiswrapper, particularly because I know for a fact it can work, having used the Breezy for almost a year without a hitch. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but at least you're not alone...

Comment

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!

I was as I said above considering another ditro but, give it one more go I thought.
                Did a lot of googleing, forum reading etc etc etc.... A lot of trial & error & I'm now posting on my wireless connection.

I have rebooted once & it still works so I hope that this continues.

I edited my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist many times & this is what works:

#trying to get wifi working!
                blacklist hostap_cs

I also inastalled WiFi Radar (But I have to run as root)
                WiFi Radar picks up all sort of connections I have never seen before, unfortunatly all my neighbours have WEP enabled, shame.

The above has fixed the boot problem too! It now boots super quick. COOL.

Just to answer the above question. yes I had breezy working ok, I then upgraded to dapper & all was ok apart from wifi. I then did a clean install with the hope that it would work, but no. So posted here.

Comment

Re: Toshiba Wifi & Loading Drivers Failed (now working)

Congratulations!

So what exactly is going on? I can't piece it together from this thread, but I assume you're not using the native linux driver, but using ndiswrapper? If so, which win driver are you using? And what is hostap_cs?

I have never used ndiswrapper under kubuntu, my only experience being on Suse where I installed it a couple of years ago from the command line.

Comment

Look at this.... I opened my lid about 5 seconds ago, desktop restored, I clicked on conect in wifi radar & now replying to this post. Sweet.

No I'm not using ndiswrapper. i did not want to go down that route because I knew my wifi would work with linux.

After all my trial & error it amounts to just 2 things.

edit your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. (I used konqueror to navigate to it, right mouse click, actions, edit as root.)

Add the following to the bottom of the list:

#trying to get wireless working. (just a usefull note)
                    blacklist hostap_cs

Save & close.

Now install wifi-radar. (I use synaptic)

Reboot.

My machine was holding on "Loading Hardware Drivers" for about 5 mins then failing, now it just boots up very quick & I might add my desktop is not so slugish. I beleive the hostap_cs is a driver for prism cards & seems to clash with the orinoco driver.

I hope this is a bit more informative, I was just so excited last night to have sorted it, I have read in so many forums about people with the same problem so I think its time to backtrack & tell them about my findings in the hope it might help.

Comment

Just to add some detailed specs of my machine for comparison:

Toshiba Tecra 9000
                      P3 933
                      Toshiba wireless card
                      Which is actually a Lucent Technologies Mini PCI (BlackComb)
                      MPCI3A-20
                      mac: 00,02,2D,**,0b,BC
                      Chips Agere
                      (all above was after removing card & noting details)
                      lspci 0000:1e,0
                      0604 808b:2448

I knew I needed the Orinoco driver to get it working.

Comment

UPDATE:

I re-installed Dapper 6.06 from downloaded ISO. All works great appart from wifi, in system settings - network settings I had my etho (wired lan) followed by 2 other interfaces - eth1 & wif0 (or something like). Neither worked so I googled for this post just for quickness to refresh myself as to what I had blacklisted previously.
                        Blacklisted hostap_cs again, rebooted & all is now perfect again.
                        Wifi is working perfectly, as are all other functions of this laptop (apart from the card reader to which Toshiba openly say they will not release any details).
                        I hope this is helpfull to someone.

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...LaptopsToshiba

and for some other Toshiba users with Atheros WIFI
                          http://madwifi.org/

good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X