This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access the network (solved)

First of all, I am quite new to Linux, but not new to networking. I usually know what I am doing and it also usually works
    Anyway, I installed latest Dapper Drake today (6.06b2), everything installed well, so far so good. During installation the system downloaded some files from the internet (for german localization I think), so the network connection was up and running then.
    Now that the installation is done I am getting a weird problem related to networking:
    The box is configured with a static IP address on eth0:
    IP: 192.168.2.6
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS: 192.168.2.1

I can successfully ping 192.168.2.6, but when I try to ping 192.168.2.1 (my DSL router) I get "Destination Host Unreachable". Same goes with all other IPs in my local network. Needless to say, I also have no internet connection from that box.
    ifconfig lists the interface as being UP

eth0
    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr:blahblah
    inet addr:192.168.2.6 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:16 errors:269 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets: 4 errors:11 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:11
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1861(1.8KiB) TX bytes:300 (300.0 b)
    Interrupt:193 Base address:0xe800

Before I installed Linux, I had XP running on that box and it worked just fine (including networking), so I guess a hardware error can be ruled out (well, more or less )

Can anyone give me a hint what could be wrong?

/etc/networking/interfaces reads as follows:

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.2.6
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.2.1
    network 192.168.2.0
    broadcast 192.168.2.255

Re: Can't access the network

Hi,

It seems that it should work, the only thing which is bothering me is this "high" number of errors. Don't you have another computer which took this ip ? Or something like ?
    What route is giving you ?

Cheers

Comment

Yes the errors are bothering me as well. However, the nic was working fine in windows for quite a while, never had any trouble with it.
      There is no other device on that IP, I have to other PCs which are on .7 and .8, my print server is on .2

Route gives me the following:
      Kernel IP routing table

DestinationGatewayGenmaskFlagsMetricRefUse Iface

192.168.2.0*255.255.255.0U00eth0

default192.168.2.10.0.0.0UG00eth0

This looks a bit odd as the default route has no gateway and the route to my local network has a gateway '*' (what does that mean?)

Comment

No, it's normal because you're not using gateway to reach network 192.168.1.0 and using gateway 192.168.2.1 to all other...
        Maybe you should try by removing
        netmask, network and broadcast in /etc/network/interfaces,
        address and gateway should be enough

Hope it will work.

Comment

oops, yes the default route has the right gateway.. I guess I have a slight dimentional shift in my eyes
          In the meantime, I have replaced the NIC with a different one (as the errors finally DID make me believe that the nic could be faulty, now I have a standard 3com in the box). I'm sorry for asking those stupid questions, but where can I view/change the hardware settings? Or maybe even force a new hardware detection, because eth0 now says: No such device.
          However, I have removed the 3 lines you requested from the interfaces already. Now if I could get the OS to auto-detect the card itself...

Comment

Hi,

I don't know how to make the system autodetect it, I never did...
            But as I know, usually a card is known by the system and the interface is linked with mac address, so if it's recognized you should have a new interface... maybe eth1 ?
            You can see by lspci if this card is known by the system... and then try to get it up and running.
            Maybe you can try to put back the old one in and try without these three lines ?
            Cheers

Comment

Ok I put the old nic back in and lspci finds and identifies it.
              I can ping the nic with the local IP address (192.168.2.6) and with 127.0.0.1 and get no errors. As soon as I try to ping any other addresses, I get "Destination Host Unreachable".
              Also I noticed, while playing around, that DHCP won't work. The router is my dhcp server and I know that it works because I just tried switching one of my windows boxes to dhcp and it worked.

Edit: Well now it's all borked. The interface won't come back up (in System Settings -> Network settings it's listed as Disabled and I can't enable it as it's disabled right after I hit 'enable interface') after reboot and when I try to configure it, the "KDE Control Module (kcmshell) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)".

I think it's best if I just format the hard drive and install it all again. I'll report back when installation is finished.

Edit2: I used yet another NIC and noticed that dhcp configuration during the installation worked (unlike before). So maybe it will work without problems this time.

Comment

Installation is complete, network is up and running perfectly. So the NIC was faulty. Thanks for your help, sky, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Re: Can't access the network (solved)

You're welcome Digi421 it's always a pleasure to see that you can help sometimes

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X