X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu: Networking cards in laptop not being recognized

Folks,

I am a relative newbie to linux. I have played with Knoppix for a few years but nothing serious. My daughter finally returned an old laptop that I had loaned her so I figured it was a good time to start investigating. I installed Kubuntu Dapper Flight 6 to the laptop. I had 2 network cards ready but the install didn't recognize either one.

The two cards are
    Linksys Wireless B WPC11 V4
    and
    IBM Etherjet PCMCIA card (non-wireless)

Both of these worked when Windows was running on the same machine. I don't know if it is relevant but the laptop is an IBM Thinkpad 570.

I have booted with kubuntu off the hard drive and knoppix v4 off of a CD and neither distro seems to detect either card. When I run an IFCONFIG at a command prompt all that is shown is local loopback.

I did some research and came across this site:
    www.linuxvoodoo. com/resources/howtos/linksysv4
    (sorry for the broken up URL but the system wont allow me to put a proper one in my post until after I have done 3 postings) This site seems to indicate that I have to recompile sections of the linux kernal to get the wireless card to work. That seems like an odd solution to me so I am asking for other solutions. I haven't found any links that explain what is going on with the etherjet card.

Any ideas on where I should look?

Thanks
    -Richard-

Re: Kubuntu: Networking cards in laptop not being recognized

Hello,

can you post the results of

sudo iwconfig

Will

Comment

Working...
    X