RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
      Interrupt:50 Base address:0x2000 Memory:b4006000-b4006fff

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:904 (904.0 b) TX bytes:904 (904.0 b)
      And After
      eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:53:97:04
      UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
      Interrupt:50 Base address:0x2000 Memory:b4006000-b4006fff

eth0_clas Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:F5:44:B5:4D
      inet addr:192.168.2.2 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:594 (594.0 b) TX bytes:346 (346.0 b)
      Interrupt:169

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:904 (904.0 b) TX bytes:904 (904.0 b)

Comment

Re: eth0 won't activate

the results of the ifconfig seem to show before

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:12:F0:53:97:04

with an address
        inet addr:192.168.2.2  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

but after
        eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:12:F0:53:97:04

but no address and another eth0

eth0_clas Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:90:F5:44:B5:4D
                  inet addr:192.168.2.2  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

with different hardware address but the same network address

Also no sign of the wireless card yet in the /etc/network/interface

This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
        # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        address 127.0.0.1
        netmask 255.0.0.0

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
        # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
        mapping eth0
                script grep
                map eth0

iface eth2 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
        wireless-essid ********
        eth2 is set as dhcp and the eth0 is static but no address and is followed by the wireless -essid
        Do we have the cards reversed? In the Dmesg is there any additional information. Are both both on board or on cards?

Comment

Oh pants - sorry i think i had the wireless card turned off.

I will recheck tonight and post again.

From memory it fails to set up/connect if i have the wireless turned on when i use the sudo dhclient command.

Comment

No problems it happens to all of us.

Comment

I had a similar problem, but a bit more frustrating. First the interface would work, then on reboot it would not. Sometimes "/etc/init.d/networking restart" would make it work, sometimes not. I tried lots of things in /etc/network/interfaces, used DHCP and static addresses, but no difference in behavior. I even tried different cards!

After looking around for a while I found /etc/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown.rules. This tries to be smart and autoconfigure interfaces on the fly as they become available. This would be cool for a laptop but I have a desktop with a static address so this is useless to me.

I commented out all the lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown.rules. That fixed it. Rock solid now no matter how many times I reboot. If you know you are going to use only one ethernet interface give this method a try.

Comment

jamesr, you remember I had this problem on 5.10, discussed it with you and then decided to wait a while for Dapper. Now I have Dapper (4) installed and working fine - except for the network.

I am working through this document - www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87643

lsmod | grep mii gives me nothing, so it seems my Kubuntu is missing a driver.

It's an Ethernet nVidia nForce2.

I know this must be a common question, but I haven't found a clear answer yet. Is solving this as simple as downloading the driver from nVidia and installing it, or does Ubuntu have one I need? I did a /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net and didn't see anything that looked like an nvidia driver.

Comment

Hi AtomicAmish,

The missing mii does not mean missing driver persay, but it may be worth looking for

dmesg | grep eth0
                  dmesg | grep mii
                  sudo lspci

Again the old standbys of

sudo ifconfig

to see if it picking up anything, one of the threads it was there but needed

sudo ifup eth0

each time. The driver has an unusual name something like "nforth". This problem also seems to exist in Ubuntu.

Comment

Further additions from the Ubuntu forum.

As yet there has been no update posted to see if the new drivers solved the problem

Re: eth0 disappears completely until reboot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer was given in dmesg output , that indicated that the driver was called forcedeth

Quote:
                    forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.41. 

And that Claes asked to you to do

Code:
                    sudo modprobe forcedeth
                    and this loads the module
                    then

Code:
                    sudo ifup eth0then activates eth0
                    another way would be
                    Code:
                    sudo dhclient and that get a lease as well.

As to why the module is being removed, I, like claes, am not sure. My only thoughts currently if the module was unstable. It would be probably good to borrow an old nic and try that with and without disabling the on-board nic.
                    The module is part of the nvidia set whether the new set includes a new nic driver I am not sure.

Jim R.

Comment

thx jebidiam ... you're a **STAR** ... this fix worked for me 8)

Originally posted by jebidiam
                      I commented out all the lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/85-ifupdown.rules. That fixed it. Rock solid now no matter how many times I reboot. If you know you are going to use only one ethernet interface give this method a try.

Comment

Hi, I am a complete newbie to Linux too. Have been a Windows user for the last 14 years. I am trying to migrate to a linux desktop totally.
                        Having installed Kubuntu, I seem to be having the same issue, i.e eth0 and eth1 seem to be deactivated.
                        The good new is that by reading this thread and doing sudo dhclient eth0 & sudo dhclient eth1 as suggested I've managed to get my ethernet adaptor and wireless adaptor working. Thus being able to access the internet and being able to write at this forum while still in Kubuntu .

Being the total newbie that I am, I have no clue as what to do next to resolve this issue permanently.
                        I have tried adding the lines

auto eth0
                        iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
                        iface eth1 inet dhcp

to /etc/network/interfaces
                        but that seems to only activate my wireless adaptor(eth1), eth0 stays disabled.
                        Pls advise.

Comment

sirdj, all I can do is give you the benefit of my experience ... are you dual-booting? because if you are, then you may continue to have problems if you are using a motherboard with an onboard LAN.
                          I began to see a pattern forming with my machine, whenever I accessed windows, my LAN would suddenly become unavailable. In the end, no amount of tweaking would restore it.
                          I decided to order a separate LAN card and as luck would have it, I also removed windows from the dualboot and ... yep, you guessed it ... no more problems with the LAN
                          so I now have a spare LAN card! lucky they aren't expensive lol

Comment

Thanks for the reply. yes i am dual booting.
                            I have kubuntu installed on an Acer TravelMate 4152 NLCi laptop. Which has an onboard Broadcom ethernet adapter and Intel Pro/Wireless 2200GB wireless adapter. eth0 is the ethernet adapter and eth1 is the wireless adapter. Both work perfectly fine in windows, but in linux only the wireless is enabled and eth0 has to be "sudo dhclient eth0" to get it to work.
                            Before I added the fllowing lines, both used to be disabled and has to be enabled manually as i have described above.

auto eth0
                            iface eth0 inet dhcp
                            auto eth1
                            iface eth1 inet dhcp
                            to /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

OK, similar problem here.
                              I have triple booting: Windows, Gentoo & whatever I decide to install on that spare disc. No network problem at all. Even when I run latest Dapper Drake live CD I have network all OK. Unfortunately when I install same disc I have problem. Ping and then No network found. Even so in KDE conf. panel it shows my Davicom card enabled. When I disable and then enable again it is enabled for second and then disabled. I have unloaded and then loaded davicom module, no way. Did everything that previous posts in this or other topics suggested, no way.
                              Interesting is that when dhclient is run on boot it get IP address so I have Ctrl+Alt+F1 as soon as I have system on (before KDE is loaded fully) and PING, PING... I can Ping whatever I want for some 20 seconds, mu router, cnn, bbc or any other PC-s on local network and then after 20 sec or so PING, PING nothing. No network found.
                              So I was get bored and went to try Elive. Same problem. Even worst as I can not get network on even on Live CD. Since Elive gives me more messages on boot I have seen that message from dhclient included something about renegotiation... ??= after 30 seconds... more less time that my network works...
                              Since I have no time nor will (have perfectly configured Gentoo) to look in this more than this post, I do post it cos' maybe it will help somebody to fix problem. And sorry on bad English.

Comment

Working...
                              X