Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless card not compatable with Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card not compatable with Kubuntu?

I've been trying to get wireless networking up and running on my laptop (it's an old IBM Thinkpad R31 that's setup to dual-boot between Windows XP Pro and Kubuntu. I'm posting this from Windows right now.) and have been having trouble getting it to connect to any wireless networks. I've started and stopped the wireless device, but can't seem to get it to do much of anything.

Two issues that I'm aware of: first, I'm using a Xterasys 802.11g card that came with the laptop when I bought it. After doing some research on the wiki, I'm pretty confident that Kubuntu doesn't support my card by default. I do have a Linksys 802.11b card that I know is supported, but I'd have to go and find it.

Second, the networks I'm trying to connect to are unsecured. My home network I can change to a WEP-based network without fouling anything up, as I'm the one who set up our router to begin with. However, I can't do anything about my university's network. Would this affect Kubuntu's ability to connect to a network, and am I just SOL if that is the case?

Re: Wireless card not compatable with Kubuntu?

Did a Google, and it appears that your card uses a TI ACX111 chipset. This card can be made to work using the "ndiswrapper" program plus appropriate Windows driver files (i.e., .inf and .sys). Sometimes it takes some time and at least one try :P in order to get the card to work. If you'd like to try the ndiswrapper route, come on back.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
    X