This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual-boot Kubuntu/XP from an iPod?

I'm not even quite sure this is totally possible, since I'm basically a Linux novice, but I've been toying with the idea of installing Kubuntu to an iPod (used as an external, USB HD) and having my laptop capable of dual-booting between it and XP.

Specs:
    Laptop - Dell Inspiron 9300, 40 GB HD (10 GB free), 1.6 gHz Pentium M, 512 RAM. XP, FAT32.
    iPod - 4th Gen, 30 GB Video iPod (Screen is broken, not concerned with ever using it as an iPod again)

Having just recently recovered from having to backup and reformat, I'm hesitant to attempt to repartition and go through all the BS all over again, so being able to use the iPod as an external HD would be great. My BIOS allows me to boot to a USB storage device, so this all seems quite possible to me.

I've read some articles where people have installed a small or LiveCD version of various distros on iPods and memory stick devices, but nothing that's close to my setup, nor dual boots. Has anyone tried something similar or know what I have to do to get this set up to work? Any input is greatly appreciated.

~ mertle
Working...
X