This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I upgrade ?

I currently have Kubuntu 6.06 and would like to upgrade to 6.10. How do I do this?

Re: How do I upgrade ?

This should help you:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Will this upgrade kubuntu?

Comment

Is there a step by step guide to do this for kubuntu somewhere? HELP!!!!

Comment

As there is no gui upgrade manager for Kubuntu (yet --feisty will be getting one) you will need to follow the apt-get command line method mentioned in aysiu's link to ensure the safest upgrade path. Read the whole page, and note specifically any troubleshooting items, especially the notes section and the link in that section.

Comment

Upgrading is more or less the same for all Ubuntu variants--Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu. They are all the same distro after all, just with different default packages.
            Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I read it but he recommended not to apt-get the upgrade so am a little lost here.

Comment

It is not recommended as it is a little harder to do than using (if you have Ubuntu) the upgrade manager, but for Kubuntu it will work, just read the links and take notes.

Another way to go is to back up your home directory, install from scratch, and restore your personal files and settings, and reinstall any extra programs you used before. Back up your home directory anyway it is good insurance.

Comment

How do I do that claydo since I am a newb at Linux?

Comment

You can use k3b to make a data cd and just add your /home/<your-username>/ directory.

Comment

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Comment

So to back it up I have to make a whole new partition? That sounds like a pain and as for a live cd I dont have one.

Comment

There are actually several backup methods:
                          http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/backup

Comment

Working...
                          X