This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system:/media/hd2

I have a dual boot xp, 6.06 on my notebook. I have a shared fat disk with files that can be used from both os.

The problem is that i cant write to it from Kubuntu. I very new to linux but to me it looks like I have to be root to grant permisions to other users. Can I log on to the KDE as root, and then fix it?

Or better, can i fix it from terminal with chmod? I mean the url is system:/media/hd2 and this is I cant reach from terminal.

When i go to /home/myusernam/shared i get to the same disk, but it seems nothing can be done from here.

Any ideas?

Thank you for a good forum! Kritro

Re: system:/media/hd2

In Kubuntu there isn't a root user, so in order to change permissions use chmod but put the command sudo before like $sudo chmod .....

Comment

Originally posted by kritro
      The problem is that i cant write to it from Kubuntu. I very new to linux but to me it looks like I have to be root to grant permisions to other users. Can I log on to the KDE as root, and then fix it?
      No. Well you can with some dirty tricks, but kubuntu is designed not to use the root user.

To open a file manager, as root:

- Hit Alt+F2
      - In the box that will popup, type: kdesu konqueror
      - Now you will be asked for a password, give yours
      - Navigate as you like.

If you do this often, you can add an icon to your desktop or quicklaunch bar.

Or better, can i fix it from terminal with chmod? I mean the url is system:/media/hd2 and this is I cant reach from terminal.
      Yes, but you need to forgor about that system: stuff. It only works in konqueror, the path on the terminal will be /media/hd*2. I put an *, because you probably have fogotten to type a letter. Normally linux ide drives partitions are called something like hda1, hdb2...

Any ideas?
      Yes. Please, open a console, type the following commands and give us the output. Use copy and paste.

Code:
      $ cat /etc/fstab
      $ ls -l /dev/hd*
      $ ls -l /media
      This should give us an idea of what is wrong.

Javier.

Comment

GOTO K>>System Settings>>Disk and File Systems

Click on administrator mode and enter the password. You can configure the drive from here.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
        X