This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences Between Live and Alternate CDs

Just thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has an explanation.

When booting/installing with live cd my old laptop, with pcmcia wireless network adapter, works fine and system boots all the way. While running the install from the alternate cd the install hangs on pcmcia card detection.

Does anyone have any idea why this difference exists? Just curious. I prefer to use the alternate cd install as this computer is maxed out at 192 MB ram and I can do a server install with minimal bloat for performance reasons.

Once again, just interested if anyone has an explanation for that particular difference in the two cds.

Re: Differences Between Live and Alternate CDs

Sounds as if the Alternate CD got corrupted during download or burn... or the CD itself is physically damaged in some way.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Sorry for not giving enough info in op. Should have mentioned that if I remove the pcmcia device and redo the install using alternate cd the os does install.

After booting into the system I then modify the /etc/network/interfaces file, enter essid and wep using iwconfig from the konsole and do ifdown, ifup and I get a wireless connection.

Gues the real question is, what file do I modify with the essid and wep key so that wireless comes up on subsequent boots?

BTW, thanks for the previous response.

Comment

Got it. After modding the /etc/network/interaces file a reboot was necessary to get the wireless pcmcia card to automatically start.

Comment

Working...
        X