Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an upgrade from 6.06 32-bit to 6.10 64-bit possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an upgrade from 6.06 32-bit to 6.10 64-bit possible?

Hello All:

I am considering upgrading my Dapper Drake 6.06 32-bit Kubuntu to the 6.10 64-bit (AMD Processor) over the holidays. I am just wondering if this is possible.

I am getting along okay using the 32-bit version right now, but would like to make full use of my processor if possible. This will be my first ever attempt at an upgrade and I have some trepidation about losing my "personal" tweaks, mostly superficial, but things like re-installing Kmail and it's accounts, etc. I assume the upgrade does not affect this. Is that correct?

If it is no problem, what changes do I make to my sources.list file to effect this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

t.
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Is an upgrade from 6.06 32-bit to 6.10 64-bit possible?

Hello again All:

Well, I found this link in 64-bit processor support. Looks like I will wait to upgrade to the 64-bit version until it makes more sense.

Cheers,

t.

Oh yeah, the link...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=8543.0
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

Originally posted by T-Diddy
      Hello again All:

Well, I found this link in 64-bit processor support. Looks like I will wait to upgrade to the 64-bit version until it makes more sense.

Cheers,

t.

Oh yeah, the link...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=8543.0
      I wonder how many people her are running the 64 bit version? At what point will it make sense to try it. Does the 64 bit take more memory to run well like Vista. I am thinking of trying the 64 bit version on some new hard drives I am going to install and was thinking it will probably run better than Vista. has any one here compared the two?

Comment

Hi,

I'm running a 64bits version of Feisty Fawn on a X2 4200+ with 1GB memory, it's running really great and never use swap memory, so I guess it's much less than Vista...

Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by sky
          Hi,

I'm running a 64bits version of Feisty Fawn on a X2 4200+ with 1GB memory, it's running really great and never use swap memory, so I guess it's much less than Vista...

Hope it helps
          Yes, that is encouraging. Are there any problems you have encountered with certain hardware or programs? Do you have Windoze or Vista on it for a dual boot?

Comment

About hardware troubles, nothing wrong, everything was recognized out of the box. I was using dapper drake, updated to edgy, then finally to feisty fawn.
            About software, everything was working well, just flash is not installable, I have to install a 32 bits browser to get flash working (I didn't because I don't need, I more often using a laptop with 32bits feisty

Finally about windows, yes, I have it installed it's xp and I'm using it only for gaming as all my computers are on ubuntu and it's doing everything I need.

Anyway, this computer works much fluently in linux than in windows, maybe because of real smp development...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X