This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some general questions.

Installed Kubuntu 6.06 as a dual boot with WinXP Pro. How do I adjust the following settings.

Adjust screen resolution to 1024 by 768.

Configure WinXP Pro as my default OS in the boot loader.

Mount my CD and DVD drives.

Access my Window files within Kubuntu.

Where would I find a good PDF instruction ebook for this OS?

Many thanks.

Re: Some general questions.

For your display settings go: system setting > display this first link will show you how to get to system settings

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/book/bo...u-Chapter.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/kubuntu...e/C/index.html
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Re: Some general questions.

Without reading a book, (although it's a very good book):
      Adjust screen resolution to 1024 by 768.
      K>"System Settings">"Monitor & Display">"Size, Orientation and Postioning">move slider to 1024x768.
      Configure WinXP Pro as my default OS in the boot loader.
      In Konqueror, navigate to /boot/grub. Right click on "menu.lst". Choose Actions "Edit as Root". Enter your USER password when asked. Find the line
      END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
      The entry(ies) below that line are for windoze. Move the Entire Stanza from "# This entry automatically ..." up to and including the line "chainloader <tab>+1" to a place directly BELOW the line "## ## End Default Options ##.

Now, navigate back to the top of the file. Find the section that starts "## timeout sec". Without removing the '#' characters change the value at the end of the line that starts "timeout ..." to (at least) 10 or 15. That's the time (in seconds) that you will have to start Linux.

Now look for the stanza that starts "##hidden menu" put a '#' character in front of the line that says
      hiddenmenu
      so that it now says:
      #hiddenmenu
      That makes the menu visible so that you can switch to Linux.

I think that's enough for one post. When you have accomplished these tasks successfully, we'll get on to mounting your drives (hint: search the forum for the word "fstab"). That will also deal with accessing your Windows files in Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
      X