This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem configuring GRUB

Hello! I'm a TOTAL newbie. I installed Kubuntu Dapper last week as a dual boot on my Win98 pc. I wanted to boot into Windows as default, but am somehow unable to configure GRUB.
    In the command line, when I enter:
    ....:-$ sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    I get the error message
    kate: Cannot connect to X server

Also, sound works at times, but doesn't most of the time (8 out of 10 times, no sound
    Please help! No RTFM, please!

Re: Problem configuring GRUB

in a konsole write
    sudo konqueror

then using konqueror browse to the grub folder ...

Comment

Hey thanks, Gezzer!
      I'm able to browse to the file and open it in kate, but am unable to save changes. I read somewhere that I can do it only from the CLI.
      If I follow the instructions you have provided, will I be able to save changes in the menu.lst file?

Comment

you wiil be in the root konqueror browser
        everything will/should be available to you ...

or try sudo kate in a konsole
        both methods work ...

Comment

Either

a) User konqueror, navigate to /boot/grub and right click on menu.lst and go to Actions > Edit as Root. Then put in your password.

or

b) Type Alt-F2 then kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst then put in your password.

or

c) Type Alt-F2 then kdesu konqueror then put in your password. Navigate to /boot/grub/menu.lst. Click on it and go.

When lauching KDE apps from the command line, you are better off using kdesu rather than sudo. Sudo will through some errors if all the environment variables aren't set up correctly.

Comment

Thank you Gezzer and lingenfr!
            Your suggestions wotked, and I'm happy to be back in control and not a slave to my pc anymore!
            I'm convinced I made the correct choice by switching over to Linux, because of the prompt and supportive people on this forum like yourselves.
            My sound problem still persists, but I'll try some more before I post about it.
            Thank you, once again.

Comment

Working...
            X