This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tale of a SUSE Immigrant

Thought I would share my first 24 hours with Kubuntu from a newcomer's POV. Also will tell you where I'm headed in case anyone can help me avoid problems.

Background: I migrated from Windows to OpenSUSE about 18 months ago. Left Windows for the usual reasons. Chose SUSE because it was rumored to be a good bridge to linux. It was that, and I was fairly happy with it, and very happy with the linux approach. Now that I have a little more experience I want to move to something a bit lighter, less corporate. Also, SUSE has some issues - some versions are well done, others are 'not really ready'. The recent de facto merger between Novell and Microsoft also sent me a message that it was time to move on.

I'm reviewing Kubuntu because I like feature-rich KDE, and I liked what I heard of Ubuntu's automated software install/update features (Adept), and also its free/open philosophy.

I'm going to be working with several machines, but I began with this one:
    Homemade Asus A8V / Athlon 64 3200+ / GeForce 6200TD 128M AGP / 1G RAM / 80GHD IDE / 500GHD SATA1 / Princeton LCD19D (1280x1024) Monitor / NEC 1100A DVD+RW UDMA33 / Logitech LX7 wireless mouse / ATI TV Wonder VE (PCI) Capture Card

I have an extra 5G partition on the SATA drive so I installed Kubuntu there, leaving my SUSE partition intact.

Found and downloaded the Kubuntu CD okay, although I didn't realize the LiveCD and Install CD were one and the same - I thought it was just an install CD. I chose the 32 bit version initially as I read there are problems with software compatibility with 64 bit (same with SUSE - which I did use in 64 bit, but encountered conflicts). Booted and after the splash screen the screen went black. Eventually I heard the 'welcome' music but still no picture. Tried various VGA resolutions to no avail. A google revealed this to be a known bug with the Live CD (lots of gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands apparent) so I downloaded the alternate.

Text install was uneventful and successful. After install, booted to a black screen with barely visible 'something' smeared on it.

I compared xorg.conf from SUSE with Kubuntu's. I changed the driver name from "nv" to "nvidia". Rebooted and now X failed to start (unknown driver), but this had the advantage of getting me to a text login.

I googled "ubuntu xorg.conf geforce 6200" and the first link told me to:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common
    which I did successfully. I then pasted my relevant SUSE xorg.conf sections into Kubuntu's and rebooted. Now I could see.

I realize this is a known installation problem with 6.10, but I would like to inject a little lecture/philosophy if I may. I first tried Red Hat about 20 years ago. After wrestling with xorg.conf and modelines I finally gave up on it - just didn't seem ready for use without way too much monkeying under the hood for my purposes.

I find it a bit mind-boggling that after 20 years the linux installers still have such problems with a simple xorg.conf setup. SUSE managed to give me a viewable screen on most machines I installed it on, but it still was far from streamlined, and in one case completely unviewable. If I can use google and kate to solve the problem, why can't the installers automate this? It seems to me a basic thing to master before you move on to other bells and whistles.

This is not a missing driver issue. The driver exists and this card is several years old. I realize most of the vendors don't create driver setups like they do for Windows. Yet I think it would make sense to create a device profile for each card out there, such that an installer can say "Okay, you've got a GeForce 6200 and a Princeton monitor... let me look that up... yeah here's your basic working xorg.conf file". Exactly what I did manually with Google and kate, without having any idea was a modeline is.

You may say it would take time to create such profiles for most devices out there, but wouldn't this make more sense than fielding all the support issues that users generate with inconsistent configurations? Once the profile is made, it's done. The devs don't have to make all the profiles - users could contribute them. But someone needs to set up the profile mechanism, much like plug-n-play. You may say this has been done, but obviously it has not been done well, and from what I see little has changed in 20 years.

Do one thing at a time, do it very well, then move on. It is important not to fall into the Microsoft trap of 'bigger, better, more', forgetting quality. One thing that always annoyed me about MS is that they give computers a bad name. Given healthy hardware, computers are not unreliable, fickle, schizo monsters, they are precise, reliable, and predictable. One thing I love about linux is that more of this true nature shines through. Except in a few areas.

Fortunately I had my SUSE xorg.conf to copy from. If I didn't, I don't know where I would have gotten my modelines and other info from to get a workable Kubuntu system.

One other video issue. Now that I have a working xorg.conf, I went into System Settings|Monitor and Display. What I found there seems to be another universe altogether. My monitor says 'Unknown' despite being labeled in xorg.conf (even the default install recognized it as Princeton). There is a slide bar there which lets me choose 640 to 800 res, even though I'm at 1280 (I think - I know it's not 800). Why is this System Settings so out of touch with reality? Can I use it for anything as a result? Again, why all this trouble with video and xorg.conf?

My next shock was to discover there was no root user. This was well documented but wasn't exactly a pleasant discovery. I'm sure smarter people than me came up with the sudo scheme, but FWIW I don't like it. When I want to be root I want to be root - I want to go in there and kick butt, and I don't want anything in my way. If I want to rm -r /* then I will! If I wanted a user account with root privileges I'd use Windows. I learned early on to think before you act (in the old DOS, typing FORMAT C: would format your drive without so much as a "Are you sure?"), and I don't think that's a bad lesson to learn the hard way. Anyway, I tried the sudo for a bit to be a good sport, but then had an apoplectic fit and enabled root. It just felt like I was too far removed from the machine - like using Windows.

This did not entirely solve my problem. In SUSE there are two icons for File Manager (Konqueror), one root and one user. Both work the same. Yet in Kubuntu, I created a konqueror menu item to be run as root. This works (after some trouble), except that when I right-click on a file and select Open with Kate, it reports 'KDEInit could not launch Kate' (or something to that effect). I see there is an Action|Edit as Root, but this uses KWrite, which is not my preference. I haven't yet looked into this malfunction, but it's annoying not to have a functional root File Manager when setting up the system.

Not to sound all negative, there are a lot of positives, and my overall impression of Kubuntu is positive. It's a keeper if it can do what I want. Thus far, the system seems stable, light, and quick (even in 32 bit), and aside from the video, the other basic hardware seems to have been installed. My mouse tilt-scroll isn't working, which it did in SUSE with the same xorg.conf, but I haven't fiddled yet. Nor have I tried the capture card or DVD burner yet. Kubuntu also added three 'scribe' entries to xorg.conf - I have no idea what these are but I commented them out for now.

Some of the fonts look a little blurry compared to SUSE, but others don't, so perhaps it's a matter of selection. Overall the view is crisp and clean.

Thus far the most exciting thing I've found in Kubuntu is Adept. This is what automation can be. In SUSE, installing software involved finding the appropriate rpm for my version, then putting it in Yast to see any unsatisfied dependencies, then hunting down the rpms for the dependencies. Often there were conflicts and other problems. I often wondered by this drudgery wasn't automated. If I can google the dependencies, download them, install them, why can't then process be automated? I do not believe automation is just for Windows Dummies (TM). Automation is what computers are all about - what they are good at - and it provides consistency and security.

Adept appears to answer this beautifully. I've only used it a little. But installing a working MPlayer, for example, took seconds compared with a lot of researching and monkeying around in SUSE. Very well done. I have yet to try installing software outside of Adept - are rpms accepted, etc?

One package I did not find in Adept multiverse, which surprised me, is Wildfire (formerly Jive Messenger). This is a neat program for setting up a Jabber server. I like to have an IM network in-house, so LAN IMs don't need to go out to the internet and back. Same for email (postfix and qpopper is what I use for this). I think Wildfire would be a good addition to the repositories. I think it comes in rpm format, so one of my next tasks will be trying to get that running.

Other tasks in front of me - postfix, qpopper, my Epson CX4800 printer, Firestarter, FreeNX, ssh (doesn't appear to be running by default), amule, and tv-out. I like Kubuntu thus far so I'm hoping that it will handle the hardware in the other machines, and handle these programs and servers I want to run. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone can offer advice, TIA. It's always a bit overwhelming moving to a new OS/distro - nothing is where it's 'supposed to be'.

My appreciation to the devs for putting Kubuntu together. A few wrinkles that should not be there, but it's obvious that there was a lot of attention to detail.

IgnorantGuru
    Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Re: Tale of a SUSE Immigrant

Looks to me you were unfortunate in the regard that the installer didn't recognize your Graphics Card/Monitor setup to satisfaction, this seems happens sometimes.

Usually it can be solved by reconfiguring the xserver with:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    (of course that is definitely not self-evident, unless you know to suspect an X issue and open xorg.conf, where the command is mentioned)

About root and sudo, you can use 'sudo -i' or 'sudo -s' to get a standard root terminal where you can 'root away' if you prefer not to prefix commands with sudo.

About your problems with konqueror, I sometimes also get the 'KDEInit could not launch Kate' (not always), but haven't tackled the problem yet since I use my own servicemenu to perform root actions in konqueror (I can post that if you like? :P). You can also edit the 'Edit-as-Root' servicemenu to launch kate instead of kwrite.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for writing up your experiences, always nice to hear what other people are thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      Code:
      I've since seen that posted around. Think I should try that now even though I have it working? Would that make the System Settings display section reflect reality (resolution setting, etc)? Or does that just configure xorg.conf like sax?

About your problems with konqueror, I sometimes also get the 'KDEInit could not launch Kate' (not always)
      This used to happen occassionally in SUSE as well, but it seems to be constant in Kubuntu (as root). Not a big priority right now but I will look into it.

haven't tackled the problem yet since I use my own servicemenu to perform root actions in konqueror (I can post that if you like? :P). You can also edit the 'Edit-as-Root' servicemenu to launch kate instead of kwrite.
      Yeah I'd love to see your servicemenu trick, and also if you could give me a quick hint as to where to look for the kwrite-->kate change I'd appreciate it. I was going to dig into it but always helps to have a direction to begin. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru
        Originally posted by kubicle
        Code:
        I've since seen that posted around.  Think I should try that now even though I have it working?  Would that make the System Settings display section reflect reality (resolution setting, etc)?  Or does that just configure xorg.conf like sax?
        There should be no harm in doing so, just backup your xorg.conf in case something goes wrong (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should create a backup, too, but you can never be too careful )

I do find odd that your KDE doesn't pickup the settings, though.

This used to happen occassionally in SUSE as well, but it seems to be constant in Kubuntu (as root).  Not a big priority right now but I will look into it.
        If I have another 'root' kate session open, a text file opens nicely on that session :P

Yeah I'd love to see your servicemenu trick
        I posted it up on kde-look.org, you can take a look:
        http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=48411

also if you could give me a quick hint as to where to look for the kwrite-->kate change I'd appreciate it.
        locate the file edit-as-root.desktop, edit it with a text editor (as 'root'), and change kwrite to kate

Comment

kubicle thanks for the info. Will give it a try.

As an update, thus far I did get everything I wanted working, and most of it was pretty trouble free. Had a HECK of a time with freenx... made a howto here...
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=10957.0

My problem with KDEInit not launching Kate from a root Konq vanished with the next reboot. Good enough.

Persistent problems: Konqueror is not properly keeping its 'detailed list view' setting, sometimes switching back to the icon view. Anybody have a fix?

Also, more times than not, I cannot select multiple files in Konqueror file manager using control-click. It behaves as just a click. Other KDE apps allow me to use control-click. A few times it has worked properly, but usually doesn't. Help appreciated (haven't gone hunting for a solution yet).

Also installed Kubuntu on a second machine with success. This time the (older) nvidia card did work with "nv", although I upgraded to nvidia driver for google-earth performance.

Comment

BTW, in the way of kudos I might add that I'm finding a lot of the functionality of Kubuntu superior to SUSE (for my purposes at least). For one thing SUSE tries to do just about everything, which is overkill for a desktop system. It's nice to have a lighter, extendable system. My Epson printer went in easily, was correctly recognized, and is working much better than it used to. NFS seems to be more solid for me. And the Adept/apt-get tool is great!

Comment

Tried your servicemenu files kubicle - excellent. I added some chmods because I'm constantly going into properties for that. Thanks.

Comment

Persistent problems:  Konqueror is not properly keeping its 'detailed list view' setting, sometimes switching back to the icon view.  Anybody have a fix?
                Hmm, haven't seen that myself, have you enabled 'Save View Changes per folder' in konqueror Settings menu (just a quick thought)

Also, more times than not, I cannot select multiple files in Konqueror file manager using control-click. It behaves as just a click. Other KDE apps allow me to use control-click. A few times it has worked properly, but usually doesn't.
                Haven't seen that either, darn, I'm not much help here

Tried your servicemenu files kubicle - excellent. I added some chmods because I'm constantly going into properties for that.
                Glad you liked it, and that you've managed to fix most of your issues, I hope the rest will work out for you in not too long a time, too

Comment

have you enabled 'Save View Changes per folder' in konqueror Settings menu
                  Can't find that setting anywhere - what am I missing? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Can't find that setting anywhere - what am I missing?    Thanks for the help.
                    Hmm...now that you mentioned it, that might be one of the things that is hidden by the kubuntu default settings :P

If it's hidden, then chances are you haven't changed the setting, but if you wish to toy with it, there are instructions on how to get the menu items in the kubuntu faq, but I don't know if the instructions are still valid:
                    http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#konqueror

If the instructions are outdated, you should get the menu items back by editing konqueror.rc (look for it first in ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror):

<Menu noMerge="1" name="settings" >
                       <text>&amp;Settings</text>
                       <Action name="options_show_menubar" />
                       <Merge name="StandardToolBarMenuHandler" />
                       <Separator/>
                       <Action name="fullscreen" />
                       <Separator/>
                       <Action name="saveViewPropertiesLocally" /> <!--Add these 2 lines-->
                       <Action name="removeLocalProperties" />      <!--Add these 2 lines-->
                       <Separator/>
                       <Action name="loadviewprofile" />
                       <Action name="saveviewprofile" />
                       <Action name="saveremoveviewprofile" />
                       <Separator/>
                       <Action name="options_configure_extensions" />
                       <Action name="configurespellcheck" />
                       <Action name="options_configure_keybinding" />
                       <Action name="options_configure_toolbars" />
                       <Action name="options_configure" />
                      </Menu>

Comment

If it's hidden, then chances are you haven't changed the setting, but if you wish to toy with it, there are instructions on how to get the menu items in the kubuntu faq, but I don't know if the instructions are still valid:
                      http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#konqueror
                      Disaster - killed the toolbar and messed up the menus. Yet I still didn't see any new settings anywhere. No permanent harm - I had backed up the files before changing them. However the fix to make Konq open tar files was a keeper.

<Action name="saveViewPropertiesLocally" /> <!--Add these 2 lines-->
                      <Action name="removeLocalProperties" /> <!--Add these 2 lines-->
                      Added these to usr/share... (not present in ~/) but even after a reboot there was no change to the Settings menu - seems odd.

I think I'll look through the rc for any config options like that - I don't need it on the menu.

Main thing I want to fix is the control-click dysfunction. I can't find any post with a similar problem - I'm all alone. (Somehow I feel better when other people are suffering from the same things I am!) I want to play with my xorg mouse settings anyway to try to get tilt-scroll working, so maybe that will kick something loose. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Now that I think of it - both computers I installed kubuntu on have the ctrl-click problem (as well as the loss of 'detailed list view', but I've already seen others talking about that issue).

Comment

Added these to usr/share...  (not present in ~/) but even after a reboot there was no change to the Settings menu - seems odd.
                          Unfortunately I'm a bit out of sync with kubuntu-default-settings. Haven't had it installed for a while, so I can't quite remember how it set things up.

In breezy times there were kubuntu-default-settings files somewhere on the filesystem that overrode settings in /usr/share, not sure how it is now.

Main thing I want to fix is the control-click dysfunction. I can't find any post with a similar problem - I'm all alone. (Somehow I feel better when other people are suffering from the same things I am!)
                          I know the feeling, I'll let you know if I run across a fix

Comment

Found ctrl-click bug (and this guy is using kubuntu 6.10 also): http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122107

What is the best way to report this to the kubuntu people? I went to the bugs forum but the report-a-bug link goes to what appears to be ubuntu bug reporting. As this involves KDE might be a kubuntu-only issue.

Comment

Found a workaround... this ctrl-click failure can be avoided by clicking directly on the filenames (I was used to clicking to the right of the filenames so I never noticed this).

Thus far this works on both machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X