This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. Will run live cd but not on install

I am having a problem installing Kubuntu on my computer. It will run the live cd and all the hardware works well, but only in safe mode. I have tried installing the text version and the alternative cd. The install seems to go fine and when it reboots it goes through the initial loading screen and then when it goes to the second kubuntu screen it freezes. I know someone that got my exact machine working with suse, but I really like Kubuntu. My specs are as follows:

Asus a8n-vm-csm mb
    2GH athalon 64 processor but am installing i386 version
    2 GB ram
    soundmax sound
    ATI x850xt video card

I have installed it on my laptop, a test computer at work and 2 test computers at home so I am not unfamiliar with installing it. This just has me stumped

Thanks in advance for your help

Re: Help. Will run live cd but not on install

Hi,
    I think you might find the following may work for you I have cut and pasted it from Kubuntu and added some additional comments as I do not know your level of knowledge so if it appears that I am talking down I apologise.
    First boot in rescue mode then install fglrx as instructed below

Installing the driver
    Make sure the restricted repository is enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list or this guide will not work!
    (To do this type :- sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf this will open the file to edit it just remove the # before each of the repositories hit Ctrl+x to exit the file when requested select save to file)
    Now just follow the instructions below.
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r) #Okay if it is already installed
    sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv

Confirm that it works
    Type in the consul fglrxinfo
    and you should get a read out something like the one bellow
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9600 Generic
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.5814 (8.25.18)

It might be necessary to create a symlink to get accelerated OpenGL:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/dri /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri

I do hope this solves your problem regards John

Comment

Re: Help. Will run live cd but not on install

I am a beginner so I appreciate the beginner level reply. I will try this when I get home tonight. I did manage to get suse up and running but I don't like it as well as Kubuntu. I have been able to figure out how to do everything but get this card running, so I feel that the support for this is much nicer then suse.

ok, I have tried the commands that you have submitted and have a small problem, every time I try the sudo nano it gives me an error as follows

error opening terminal:Bterm.

I did a sudo apt-get update and did the rest of the install. It all worked until I tested the driver and it didn't work. Frustated I rebooted and it actually booted into the logon screen. I updated all the updates through adept and now everything works now. It seems that there is a dependency that is fixed by all of the updayes. Is there a way to tell it to install that driver in the setup? I am going to keep all this documentation for any future installs. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X