This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freezes at mounting root file system

I just did a clean install of Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. I had problems mounting the NTFS drive, but managed to get it working and mount automatically. I had rebooted a few times without problems. I then decided to install Beryl and followed the project's wiki instructions. When I went to ctrl+alt+ backspace to restart x-server at the login it went to the login started opening the desktop and then went right back to the login (separate problem I think). I then rebooted and now after "loading essential drivers" my computer freezes on "mounting root file system". The computer will not boot even in recovery mode. Looks like it's hanging when it reaches the OHCI host controller under recovery mode. .Also rescue mode on the DVD doesn't seem to work or I just don't know what it does. I boot in rescue mode and it just boots the live User. At this point I manually mount the Kubuntu drive with the Live User but I can't change anything and wouldn't be sure what to change if I did. Also I've looked at the beryl forums for help and haven't found anything yet for the boot problem which might be a separate issue from the login problem. Thanks for any help that can be provided. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    2.21 GHZ
    A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    N. bridge chipset:NVIDIA nForce SPP 100
    S. bridge chipset:NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
    1GB Ram 2x512mb
    160GB hitachi SATA2 (windows XP)
    80GB WD PATA (For Kubuntu 6.06 LTS, primary)
    NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A
    Nvidia GeForce 256MB 7800GT dual DVI
    Netgear WG311v2 802.11g wireless PCI adapter
    Audigy 2 ZS platinum
    OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI ATX12V 2.01,EPS12V 600W Power Supply

Solved: freezes at mounting root file system

If your install with Edgy freezes it looks like it is a related problem and the solution to both apparently is a BIOS setting unfortunately I can't find the post but here is the solution: Go into your BIOS setting for the USB Controller and where it says EHCI HANDOFF HiSpeed change it to FullSpeed. My system doesn't freeze at "mounting root file system", and I decided to see if Edgy will finally install and it did!

Comment

Working...
    X