This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bin/sh : can't access tty; job control turned off

I am getting this error message during boot. The system stops there.

"bin/sh : can't access tty; job control turned off"

I recently upgraded the motherboard, cpu and graphics card. Kubuntu booted up and all was working fine. I then moved this spare drive (with Kubuntu) over to another controller on the board which is a SATA controller and used an adaptor that allows the use of an IDE drive on a SATA controller. The drive seems to function fine, but now I get that error while booting...

What is this TTY? Does nit have something to do with hardware detection and/or the fact that the drive is now running on a SATA controller?

Any ideas on fixing this without a complete reformat and reinstall?

• chris  m •

Re: bin/sh : can't access tty; job control turned off

UPDATE:
    I think I may know what's going wrong. Since I moved the drive to be on a different controller, although it is still configured as a master on the new controller on channel 1, I think its possible the grub configuration could be incorrect now. Could that error message occur in this situation?

Is there a way to fix the grub menu.lst from the live cd or from the CLI once the error message is displayed?

• chris  m •

Comment

I just ran adept and it updated the kernel on my feisty system which had been running flawlessly. I reboot now and all I get is the BusyBox (initramfs) prompt with the error message:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I have googled around but most posts seem to imply the hard drive is not mounted. There is only one SATA drive in this system and no other bootable media, so it is booting from the drive. I am about to run the hard drive diagnostics, but it seems kinda odd that this would fail right at the upgrade.

Also, how to I make Kubuntu display meaningful info during boot and not just the logo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

-Mike

Comment

Update: I am able to boot from my edgy live CD and mount the root partition.
        What should I be looking for?

Comment

In both cases, the initramfs, the "past-grub / pre-kernel" part of system launch (to keep things simple) has been trashed - with the result that it is no longer able to find (let alone boot) the root file system ... unfortunately, I'm looking for the way out myself (since "Gutsy" doesn't like my virtual SCSI disk ... different story, same problem - I dare say).

Comment

Hi, new here. I'm trying to install Kubuntu 7.04 as a multiboot on my Inspiron 9300. I get this error, followed by a prompt, when i try to install, or check the disc for errors.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by darklord
              Hi, new here. I'm trying to install Kubuntu 7.04 as a multiboot on my Inspiron 9300. I get this error, followed by a prompt, when i try to install, or check the disc for errors.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
              I've seen a couple of workarounds for this, which may or may not work for you:

1. Hit F6 on the menu and remove "quiet splash" from the boot options
              2. A bit weirder, use the "Install with driver update CD" option (even if you don't have one, just hit enter when prompted for the cd)
              3. If those won't work, try googling with the error message, you're not alone :P

Comment

I tried both, neither had any effect.

As for google, theres nothing there, the onyl meaningful result is this page.

Comment

Did you (or someone else affected) try to sidestep the bug as described in this post

Comment

Negative there too. Just bounces back to the same error.

Comment

Originally posted by darklord
                      As for google, theres nothing there, the onyl meaningful result is this page.
                      That's odd, there seems to be a lot of ubuntu related pages on that error:
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=bin/s...rol+turned+off

Here's a rather long thread about it on the ubuntuforums:
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415009

Although it seems there can be more than one reason why this error occurs, which means the same workarounds won't work for all.

Comment

Working...
                      X