This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot drops into root shell now

After the several progress bars on the initial boot, right after the one that mentions that the filesystems are being checked, it stops, and drops into a root shell. There are no error codes.

This is an odd thing.

If I type "exit" it continues to boot and then all is well. I did wipe another partition recently of another linux installation, and did so by formatting it in ext2. It was formatted in the ReisersFS. I think this started happening after this.

Is there a way to fix this without breaking my system. Right now, it is just an irritation rather than a major issue.

Re: Boot drops into root shell now

Hi,

I guess it's because this partition was accessible from kubuntu, you should change the format in the file /etc/fstab to fix the new one.
    If it's not this, I don't know what else it can be...

Hope it helps.

Comment

Re: Boot drops into root shell now

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
      After the several progress bars on the initial boot, right after the one that mentions that the filesystems are being checked, it stops, and drops into a root shell.  There are no error codes. 

This is an odd thing. 

If I type "exit" it continues to boot and then all is well.  I did wipe another partition recently of another linux installation, and did so by formatting it in ext2.  It was formatted in the ReisersFS.  I think this started happening after this. 

Is there a way to fix this without breaking my system.  Right now, it is just an irritation rather than a major issue.
      One other thing you could check is which grub entry is booted by default. The behaviour you described seems to indicate you're booting into recovery mode (it starts the root shell for system maintenance and recovery). Inspect the /boot/grub/menu.lst and which entry is mentioned in the default X line...note the entries start from 0 (which means the first entry)

Comment

Re: Boot drops into root shell then starts x

It is oddly curious... it was not booting as recovery, that I know for sure. It was a random problem that always started after any kind of kernel update. Sometimes if fixed itself after a few boots, sometimes after a second update.

It went away this time after commented out my ntfs entries from fstab, booted into recovery, ran ntfsfix (tried this alone but it didn't work in solving the issue), booted into XP, then back into kubuntu, changed my ntfs entries to ntfs-3g, as I do have the drivers installed, and I made sure that last column was zero, so that it would not be checked, uncommented them, then ran sudo mount -a. Everything ran fine on next boot. The same thing happens to my laptop with edgy installed. It is currently doing this and I actually tried this on there, and it still drops from the graphical loading splash to show all this text, but no errors are flagged... this is always at the "fsck" step.

I am wondering if this is a peculiar issue for me, or if it happens frequently and no one else minds. It don't prevent me from doing anything, other than showing others how fancy linux can be... only to have a bunch of text fly by. Cosmetic issue only.

Comment

Re: Boot drops into root shell then starts x

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
          this is always at the "fsck" step
          Could you post the laptop's file system table (/etc/fstab) ...?

Comment

Working...
          X