X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64bit kubuntu vs 32bit kubuntu

Hello all,

I have a quick question. I am about to get a spanky new AMD X2 4200+ based system and im going to promply put Kubuntu on. However I've done some reading and have heard that the 64bit version isn't quite up to snuff with the 32bit.

I'm just curious if i install the 32bit version:

1) will it work on a 64bit proc
    2) will it properly utilize the dual-core proc (ie. will i get the best performance possible)

Any experiences that people have had running the 32bit version on a X2 would be nice as well

Thanks everyone,
    The_RaViD

Re: 64bit kubuntu vs 32bit kubuntu

Hi,

I'm using this processor on a 64bits kubuntu and it's working well, just troubles with flash not working, I've seen that some guys from open source are developing a flash player for 64bits but didn't try yet as I can leave without it (I have two 32 bits kubuntu computers installed close to this one)
    Anyway, I've tried a 32 bits live cd on the 64 bits and it was running well, and as I remember well, two cores were recognized...

Cheers

Comment

Hi Sky,

Thanks so much for the reply. That helps a lot. I will probably get the 64bit up and running when i get my system. I had heard about the the flash problem before as well. But flash has never had "great" support on linux (in my opinion anyway... since i develop in flash on a windoze box). I just wanted to make sure my dual core goodness wouldn't be going to waste

Cheers,
      The_RaViD

Comment

The two cores will not be wasted but bored a little
        I'm using almost never them both... But it's really great to be able to prelink, encode, or compile while you're browsing the web without slowdown

BTW, for flash support on the 32 bits it's working well when don't need the latest version of flash...

Enjoy

Comment

WHat are the advantages/dissadvantages to using 64bit Kubuntu over 32bit Kubuntu? Performance wize. I play games, edit photos(photoshop), watch movies, edit movies and music.

also, I have a COre 2 duo E6300 cpu, would AMD64 kubuntu work on it?

Comment

The -generic kernel is the correct one for your E6300 -- it's what I run on my X6800. It works great -- you can see both CPUs by giving the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo", or open the KInfoCenter and it will show them.

People who try the 64-bit on Intel CPUs have problems -- it seems to be designed for AMD CPUs.

Comment

Working...
            X