X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help the newbie out

hello everyone
    i am a newbie at linux and while i was installing kubuntu(6.06)
    i entered the option to manualy create partition but the create tab doesn't become active and so i am not able to proceed
    is it because that it is a logical partition rather than an extended one(i have win-xp alreday)
    the harddisk info is like this
    --c:7gb--win
    --d:6gb--data
    --10 gb unformatted space
    all 3 are logical
    and e,f:25 each extended
    also i want to know that if i could install Grub in the / partition and whether the/boot is necessary
    also i don't want my win-xp to be affected by linux so that i can remove it without corrupting win
    if u could please mail me with some detailed installation guide and help at sudhanshu_nsit@yahoo.co.in
    i will be extremely grateful
    thanks
    sud

Re: help the newbie out

Hi,

About your question for grub, the only way to install for now is on mbr (master boot record) so it will affect windows as it will pass first in grub then boot windows.
    Anyway it's easy to restore in case you don't like kubuntu, you can just boot in windows, open a dos command and type "fdisk /mbr", then remove the partition from manage...
    Finally about installation, you can just use the desktop cd, click on install from desktop, and follow steps just like in windows it should be too hard.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
    X