This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge problems with Grub

I'm going to start with a confession. This is all my fault. My system was set up to dual boot Kubuntu and XP, but I decided I didn't want the XP anymore. I pulled up QTParted, and deleted hda1 (the windows partition). During this time, I somehow managed to fill up hda3, complicating matters. The problem came on reboot -
    Hard disk boot sector invalid

Now, I'm not an idiot, I googled the message, have followed about a bazillion how-tos on installing grub natively, and from kubuntu, but nothing has worked. I can boot Kubuntu using a grub boot disk, and specifying kernel and initrd, but I can't get grub to load automatically. If there's anything anyone can suggest, please let me know... as long as it doesn't involve burning any CD bigger than bout 50MB (because my CD-RW for some reason won't do it...).

Incidentally, the disk full problem resulted in firstly, me being unable to log in to KDE (I would type in password, then get kicked straight back to log on screen, with something that looked like an X server crash, but no errors in any logs anywhere). I ran dpkg-reconfigure -a, and then deleted ~/.kde, and then it opened with only a Konsole window (no kicker, etc). I ran Kpersonalizer, then realised that for some reason (probably me being careless), KDE had logged into failsafe mode. I logged back in normally, and it seems to be ok. The booting problem is worrying me though... my CD-RW drive is obviously already a bit dodgy, I don't want to wait for it to completely die, so I can't even boot my system any more (no floppy drive)

Cheers
    D1SxEyes

Re: Huge problems with Grub

It sounds like your disk's master boot record is missing.

I would boot the PC using your GRUB boot disk and then try reinstalling GRUB. Here's the procedure straight from the GRUB manual:
    Installing GRUB natively
    Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Working...
    X