This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want my stuff back!

Ok so it's been a while, I figured linux has got to be easier then when it was redhat 5. So I get the cd install kubuntu dapper drake and what do I get a big fat error 18 from grub. Now I can only use my computer off the kubuntu live cd as my MBR is jacked.

This is dual boot. windows XP in the first partition then the linux stuff. Can anyone give me some idea how to get my system to boot windows XP again. Or how to go about loading a different boot loader. At this point I really just windows back but if I could get it to dual boot that would be nice....

Any one got some advice?

Re: I just want my stuff back!

so kubuntu is in last partition on the disk
    try reinstall kubuntu in a first boot partition with option for dual boot.
    win XP install cd can repair "wrong" (win is always wrong) instalation, just put into your cd rom & restart

Comment

Torch404,

first of all: don't panic (or, at least, not yet ...) - to be serious: don't "jump into action", for from my point of view you do have a problem but it's not nearly as big as it might look at first sight.

O.k., a good point to start with would be the GRUB Manual - not an easy reading, but definitely worth trying. With this background, you could try to manually (read: from the GRUB shell) boot either of the two systems installed on your machine.

Having done (and succeeded in) this, you should be able to rewrite the /boot/grub/menu.lst in accordance to what you have learned from the "boot by hand" lesson ... It is a tricky thing to be done, but if you stick to the "first read, second think, third hack" approach, it's manageable 8)

Comment

Quoting from http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7670.0

using the windows XP CD at boot
        go into recovery mode

when in recovery mode write
        FIXBOOT
        press enter
        then write
        FIXMBR
        press enter

this will over write the MBR to the windows defaults and allow you to re boot into windows
        once that is done you can use the live CD to check the Linux install ...
        This should at least get you back into Windows.

As you can see here
        http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Stage2-errors
        Error 18 means that your BIOS is not able to boot the Linux partition. Could it be that you installed Linux at the end of the drive? If you have an older computer this could happen. But there are lots of posts on Grub error 18 at http://ubuntuforums.org/

Comment

Grub can not work where it is located on my hard drive so the grub manual does not particularly help me. I would prefer not to lose my windows partition if I can help it so moving the loader there does not help me.

The Fixmbr and fixboot are only changing it from a grub error to something about ARC firmware and HAL path ways which I do not now any thign about.

Anyone have any other ideas about how to get a boot loader that will get my winXP up. Or one that doesn't have to be first on the hard drive to boot both?

Comment

do you have or are you able to get hold of a 98SE boot floppy ?

boot with the floppy in the drive
            pick option 1 (boot with cd support)

when you get to the A> write
            fdisk /mbr
            press enter

remove the boot floppy and restart the system ...

Comment

Well I don't have a floppy drive...would the winXP recovery consol work with the fdisk /mbr?

Originally posted by Gezzer
              do you have or are you able to get hold of a 98SE boot floppy ?

boot with the floppy in the drive
              pick option 1 (boot with cd support)

when you get to the A> write
              fdisk /mbr
              press enter

remove the boot floppy and restart the system ...

Comment

Finally got it to work!!! thank you every one for the advice!

Comment

What did you do to get it to work? I know someone else may appreciate the information one day.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X