This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail to boot install DVD??

Hi guys, I'm having trouble booting the install DVD. It's the AMD64 DVD iso, and I've burned a few copies, but still no complete boot. It seems to start out OK, asks me what I want to do, and I select the install/boot Kubunto fromt eh inital menu. It gives some progress that it's doing things, then the screen goes black and nothing happens anymore. This happened with two or three disks now. It's already got Gentoo linux on the hard drive whish still works, but I've lost interest in dealing with that and would like an easier distro instead... What should I be looking for to fix this?

Re: Fail to boot install DVD??

you said you burned 3 Dvd's already and still none of them worked.

Just wondering if you burned them from the same downloaded iso?
    if the source is bad then the DVD's will be bad as well.

If you havent tried it yet, Try downloading a new iso and check MD5SUM before burning it to see if its a good copy

Comment

Have you maybe tired using CD's instead of DVD's.  Just a thought.

Comment

I just found out theres a known issue ticket out on kubuntu wiki about
        crashes during manual partitioning.
        https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuDapperKnownProblems

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeAbe
          you said you burned 3 Dvd's already and still none of them worked.

Just wondering if you burned them from the same downloaded iso?
          if the source is bad then the DVD's will be bad as well.

If you havent tried it yet, Try downloading a new iso and check MD5SUM before burning it to see if its a good copy
          Yes, they were all from the same iso file. I haven't tried any CDs, but I did try the i386 DVD I installed my laptop with. That gets a lot further but has the randomly hanging installer problem that I've found another thread about. I think I'll stick with the i386 one anyway, as I've seen some things such as mplayer and window s codecs, firefox plugins and such that don't seem to like 64bit, and I'm not interested in dealing with that crap. I'm looking for a distro easier to live with than Gentoo, not a harder one... :P But if the installer keeps hanging then I'll ignore my Kubuntu friends at work and move on to other distros to try. I just don't have the patience to live with the annoyances anymore, but I do like MythTV.

Comment

Working...
          X