This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimizing the kernel

When I did my install a few weeks back, some where along the way I selected the AMD k7 (I believe it was) as I am running AMD Athlon 2800. I did an update via Adept today, and wasn't watching that closely (as I should, I know) and it seems that I am back to a 386 kernel version. (2.6.15-27-386) I have looked everywhere and for the life of me can't find how I can select the AMD again. Could some one please direct me to that information.
    The other part to my question is, what kind of improvement am I really getting, as I am not sure that I can notice any difference, now that I am on the 386 kernel.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Optimizing the kernel

Originally posted by gnarly
    When I did my install a few weeks back, some where along the way I selected the AMD k7 (I believe it was) as I am running AMD Athlon 2800.  I did an update via Adept today, and wasn't watching that closely (as I should, I know) and it seems that I am back to a 386 kernel version. (2.6.15-27-386) I have looked everywhere and for the life of me can't find how I can select the AMD again.
    First check that you have either:
    linux-k7 (if you need the restricted modules packages, for propietary graphics drivers, for example)
    or:
    linux-image-k7 (if you don't need restricted modules)
    Installed and upgraded to the latest version. These metapackages should install the latest k7 kernel versions. (If you have a newer 386 than a k7 kernel, the newer 386 kernel is started by default)

Then you can check that your /boot/grub/menu.lst has an entry for the k7 kernel. Upgrading/installing a kernel should update the menu.lst automatically, but you can manually do it with 'sudo update-grub'

You can choose the kernel to run from the grub boot menu (you need to hit ESC during boot when prompted), but if you have the latest k7 kernel installed it should start by default.

The other part to my question is, what kind of improvement am I really getting, as  I am not sure that I can notice any difference, now that I am on the 386 kernel.
    In my experience, the possible boost in performance depends greatly on the hardware, but isn't really noticeable on higher-end systems (except maybe in very CPU intensive tasks).

Comment

I had a look at my /boot/grub/menu.lst and found these enteries; (I am only listing the first few)

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-27-386
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386
      savedefault
      boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-27-386 (recovery mode)
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/sda1 ro single
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-27-386
      boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-k7
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-k7 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-k7
      savedefault
      boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-k7 (recovery mode)
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-k7 root=/dev/sda1 ro single
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-k7
      boot
      Ithen did as you suggested reboot and esc selected k7, and now I am using that kernel.

In so far as my second question.
      If I am understanding correctly, it really doesn't matter then, which kernel I use, the only time it might matter is if I am doing CPU intense tasks. Other than e-mail/Web, and the general playing around (to learn Linux) the only other task that takes up CPU time and resources is BOINC - Seti, Einstien, World Community Grid. Would these be concidered CPU intense tasks.?
      I thank you very much for your time.

Comment

Note that your 386 kernel version is newer than your k7 kernel (2.6.15-27 vs. 2.6.15.26)...that's why the 386 kernel is started by default.

Upgrading the k7 kernel (to 2.6.15-27) would make it default.

If I am understanding correctly, it really doesn't matter then, which kernel I use, the only time it might matter is if I am doing CPU intense tasks. Other than e-mail/Web, and the general playing around (to learn Linux) the only other task that takes up CPU time and resources is BOINC - Seti, Einstien, World Community Grid. Would these be concidered CPU intense tasks.?
        I only expressed my personal opinion, I haven't done extensive testing on different kernels...best thing you can do is test whether you notice any improvement and decide for yourself

Comment

I am assuming that I should get the latest version of k7 via Adept, I noticed that I have it in the repository just not installed. Would installing it via Apt-Get upgrade also do the trick.?
          Again thanks for your insight and info I do appreciate it.

Comment

I tried via Adept to install k7 latest version, part way thru it quit, after macromedia, I think, now when I try to run Adept it says that another instance of Adept is running. I looked at (ps -ef) and can't find anything out of the ordinary. There happens to be a thread "kernel upgrade issue" that is having the same problem.
            Any help would be appreciated as this is getting way above my head.

OK what I did was to do an Apt-Get update which came up with an error msg. and suggested that I do "dpkg --configure -a" which I did, at the end of this I got another error msg.
            Setting up flashplugin-nonfree (7.0.68~ubuntu1~dapper1) ...
            Downloading... done.
            usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
            update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | sNN kNN]
            update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
            -n: not really
            -f: force
            dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--configure):
            subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            flashplugin-nonfree
            I am now booting directly with the k7 kernel thats great, also my Adept appears to be working fine again.
            If anyone could help me with this flashplugin-nonfree error that would be great. I will in the mean time see what I can find in the howtos.

Comment

I am now booting directly with the k7 kernel thats great, also my Adept appears to be working fine again.
              If anyone could help me with this flashplugin-nonfree error that would be great. I will in the mean time see what I can find in the howtos.
              That's a bug in the postinstallation script of the 'flashplugin-nonfree', not sure if it's fixed yet, but you can find a workaround here:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9172.0
              (Note that my and helpdeskdan's workarounds do the exact same thing, in different ways, so you can use either one. )

Comment

That worked great "kubicle" thanks for that info.
                If I may how would one know to figure out the particular fix that you came up with.

Also getting to my original problem, in my /boot/grub/menu.lst does it matter that I have so many kernel versions, or can I delete the ones that are older. ?

I have been using Firefox now since the fix and I find that some website don't give me any graphics, just text, is there some way that I can fix this. Is it even related to the flashplugin issue.?

Comment

If I may how would one know  to figure out the particular fix that you came up with.
                  Sure, on this one it's pretty straight-forward, sometimes you have to go 'Sherlock Holmes' on it.

The error outputs are the key:
                  dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--configure):
                  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                  This tells that there's an error on the post-installation script (/var/lib/dpkg/info/flashplugin-nonfree.postinst...all installation/removal scripts reside in /var/lib/dpkg/info/)

usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
                         update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | sNN kNN]
                         update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
                                  -n: not really
                                  -f: force
                  this printout from the script tells us there is a problem with an update-rc.d command in the script ('usage' info is usually given when there's a syntax error in the command).

Then it's just examining the script (and browsing the man-page for proper syntax if needed)

Also getting to my original problem, in my  /boot/grub/menu.lst  does it matter that I have so many kernel versions, or can I delete the ones that are older. ?
                  It doesn't really matter, but if you remove the older kernels, the grub-menu entries will dissappear automagically (via update-grub). Note that it's a good idea to keep a backup kernel (an older version or perhaps the 386 version) just in case.

I have been using Firefox now since the fix and I find that some website don't give me any graphics, just text, is there some way that I can fix this. Is it even related to the flashplugin issue.?
                  Can't help you with that one, I don't use FF :P

Oh, btw, the fixed version of flashplugin-nonfree has been released in the repositories

Comment

Again thanks for all that. I do appreciate your time in explaining things.
                    BTW which browser do you use and why, and why not FF.?

Comment

Working...
                    X