This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: no SU after install

No, you won't find any usernames in a stock sudoers lost, it actually in Kubuntu's case specifies that the admin group has sudo privileges. The user created during the install is automatically added to the group 'admin' and any future users created must be added to that group if you want them to have sudo privileges (and in normal circumstances there is no need to use the cli as this can be done from System Settings). As Techboy_Miata was able to use sudo via the command line, I believe he had a faulty cd as he did try unsuccessfuly it seems a second time with no luck.

The girl analogy is pretty good, at least for me. Much like my wife, (16 years happily married) I saw something in linux worth pursuing, and in my case it was well worth the time

Comment

thanks claydoh that makes me feel a little better actully. while its unlikely that i got a bad CD from the company its most certinly possable. i never considerd it a possability that that could happen. because you expect it to work and its the last thing in the world youd expect to happen. but nothing can be 100% perfect 100% of the time.
      even so with that in mind given this is my first experance with KDE its left a bad taste in my mouth.

yes i do se something worthwile in linux worth persueing (even if it is only to have a secondary/backup OS) im just not quite sure what it is. but i can tell you what drew me in. it was the CLI. even though i didnt know crap about it i was attracted to it, its style. when you did commands in it and seen all the output it made you feel like you were really interacting with the computer on its level. like you were hacking into the computer or something. this plus the easy to use impression of the past installers ive used have combined to earn my respect and love for Linux in general oh and the reputation for its security.
      my first real successfull install of a Linux OS was SuSe 9.3 for dummies. it didnt go far at all but it was so windows like (on the outside) it was like it was trying to meet me half way and that opened the door for me to try other distros. oh god now that i think about it it was way more than that. damn go get a coke or something and get comfortable LOL
      i remember now yes the desktop helped but it was the installer itself that really made an impression on me. first off just the HUGE mass of choices i had as far as software packages to install. omfg you could be there ALL DAY just checking everything out (you have to keep in mind im comparing this at the time to a windows XP install the whole time) and if that wasnt enough (sadly i cant even say this about ubuntu as of breezy 5.10) durring the install and before you even get to the desktop, it automaticly checks for and installs ALL the latest security patches!!!! that REALLY won me over. i was so impressed with SuSe i mean my god that means your automaticly protected against all the latest threats and vunerabilityies before you even start up. then once i got to the desktop i was suprised it had its own ver of windows update. except in this case it would be Linux update.
      some other things about SuSe impressed me along the way im sure but those are the big things i remember. so if anyone should get credit for where i am today in Linux Land its SuSe 9.3 that OS paved the way to capture my interest in Linux so much i soon got the attitude (if youll excuse the pun) gotta try them all gotta try them all PokeLinux! LOL
      and by far and wide i havent tried them all and probibly never will theres so many different ddistros andflavors of each. some are free some are not. but even those that do cost money they are way cheaper than windows!
      I TRIED mEPIS 3.4 it was disquallified after the sound just sudenly quit and couldnt be restored (it is welcome to try again sometime) and my firend said hay if you like that try ubuntu its free. i did and this at least for the moment is where i have decided to call home as far as Linux goes. it has even earned the right as the finalist to share my main drive with windows. ( i think i need to upgrade my 80 gig soon to something bigger lol)
      i hope ive not nored anyone with my rambleings on my past btw one more thing. most all of what ive learned about the command line as far as commnds go ( dpkg make etc) i learned while reviewing ubuntu. thats anothing thing about ubuntu its free and it has such GREAT support! this group is just one of the many resources avilable omg i could go on and on lol
      anyway i think you get the picture.
      have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Techboy_Miata
        this is the error i get when ever a SU is required (after password has been given) "communication with su failed"
        After installing Kubuntu for the first time I encountered the same error. Whenever I tried to change a setting (e.g. go into amdin mode to detect the monitor hardware to change the screen resolution) I received that error message.
        Being totally new at this I just reinstalled Kubuntu and it seems to work fine now.

Comment

Re: no SU after install --- errr Reboot

Hey soa , i reboot and my passwords stop working. I"ve gota thread going somewhere else about this but at this point after every reboot i have to install a live cd, change my passwords for the user and root , THEN reboot and i can login and do some work. If i reboot again POW , i can't sudo, i cant' su, i can't even change my own password! I can't update, i can't do anything.

Comment

i have set up a root account on my system so i can log in as root when i wish too
            not sure if it will be of any use but this is how i did it ...

i)open a konsole and write

sudo passwd root
            enter your password

enter the same password
            re-enter the same password

press enter to save

this will enble your password system wide
            which includes the use of su, sudo & kdesu ...

ii) in a konsole write
            sudo kate
            enter password

when kate is open browse to the
            etc/kde3/kdm folder and open the kdmrc file

in this file look for the line
            AllowRootLogin=false

change this line to
            AllowRootLogin=true

save and close all programs

end the session and at the login screen write
            root
            password

thats the password that you set above
            you will now be in the root session using kubuntu ...

Comment

Hey gezzer,
              on that last one, i'm well aware of HOW to do what you mentioned, My problem is that i can't get that sudo passwd to work for any user. Sudo doesn't work for anything, passwd works for no user. I have to fix that from an install disk, then if i actually power the machine down, boom, my comp loses those passwords and i can't login........so every time i wanna boot i have to load a liveCD and fix my passwords

Comment

restart comp when grub loads arrow down to recover mode after you get a prompt type visudo then arrow down to %admin and change to your login name write and you r done

Comment

furrball, thanx brodie, gonna give that a rip

Comment

Originally posted by furrball
                    restart comp when grub loads arrow down to recover mode after you get a prompt type visudo then arrow down to %admin and change to your login name write and you r done
                    That may work if the user was somehow not added to the admin group during installation, but rather than editing the sudoers you should just add the user/users to the 'admin' group.

However, this seems not to be the problem for cazub, since the problem seems to be fixed by booting a rescueCD and resetting passwords. I don't usually recommend reinstallation, but in this case it might be the quickest solution to your problem, of course you can wait a while to see if someone can solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X