X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing GRUB, Kubuntu/XP dual boot

Hi !

I have recently removed XP from my dual boot Kubuntu/XP system. To speed up the booting process, I would like to remove the GRUB boot loader; could someone tell me how to do this ? (or is it a bad idea to remove GRUB, even if you have only one operating system?)

Thanks !

czarnykot

Re: removing GRUB, Kubuntu/XP dual boot

Originally posted by czarnykot

Hi !

I have recently removed XP from my dual boot Kubuntu/XP system. To speed up the booting process, I would like to remove the GRUB boot loader; could someone tell me how to do this ? (or is it a bad idea to remove GRUB, even if you have only one operating system?)

Thanks !

czarnykot
    This is a very bad idea. Grub isn't just used to decide between windows and kubuntu, it loads the operating system. A bootloader is a core part of an OS, so deleting ntldr from a solely windows machine would make it unbootable.

However, what you are really asking is if you can stop grub from showing the menu at startup. You can change that.

You are going to need to edit your menu.1st in /boot/grub
    First I suggest backing it up. Open a terminal and type without quotes
    "cd /boot/grub"
    "sudo cp menu.1st menu.1stbak" This will back up the menu
    "sudo Kedit menu.1st" replace Kedit with any text editor if that doesn't work for you. EDIT: forgot my uppercase. Remember, case matters.

Now look through the file. All sorts of options are shown, and most are well explained.
    Now find

timeout 10

## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    #hiddenmenu

and change it to

timeout 10

## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    hiddenmenu

Now save and you are good to go. Please google next time, because this is repeatly explained on the forums.

Comment

Re: removing GRUB, Kubuntu/XP dual boot

"sudo cp menu.1st menu.1stbak"

That should be "sudo cp menu.lst menu.lstbak" -- the first character after the dot (.) is a lower-case letter "L", not the number 1.

Comment

Working...
      X