This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen upon booting after install

I installed Kubuntu with the alternate installer as the LiveCD installer would crash at the 'manually edit partitions' section.

Everything went alright and I was prompted to take the CD out and let the machine reboot. GRUB appeared and I selected Kubuntu and the splash came up and the progress bar finished.

The screen went dark like it was going to load KDE, or at least change resolutions or something, and then my monitor gave me a "Out of Scan Range" message onscreen.

I read somewhere that pressing Alt-F1 would bring me to a command prompt in some situation, so I tried it and it didnt work, so I got a little frustrated and tried some other "Alt+" combinations with keys and eventually got to a command prompt!

Here's what I tried and got:

================================================

jorwex@jwexler:~$ startkde
    xsetroot: unable to open display ''
    xset: unable to open display ""
    xsetroot: unable to open display ''
    startkde: Starting up...
    ksplash: cannot connect to X server
    kdeinit: Aborting, $DISPLAY is not set.
    Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
    ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
    ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
    startkde: Shutting down...
    Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
    Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
    startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
    startkde: Done.
    jorwex@jwexler:~$_

================================================

i realize now that i shouldve done 'sudo startkde' (i think--this is my first dabbling into linux), but ive got a lotta pc-related work today and need to be my windows boot for a while, so i dont have time to try that. it seems like its a bigger problem than that though.

ive reinstalled kubuntu a few times and i always hit that black screen w/ the scan message after the reboot. the monitor is only 15 inches, but it supports enough resolutions that it wouldnt be the problem. my roommate's got a 20 inch widescreen lcd that id be interested to hook up to it at that message to see if anything happens differently.

at first i thought the problem was with the last thing you configure in the installation--the xorg stuff. i thought i read it wrong and it asked for you to deselect which resolutions you wanted to keep and installed again under that assumption--same problem.

i even tried:

sudo dpkg apt-get update
    sudo dpkg apt-get upgrade

and the xserver-xorg stuff was among the stuff updated.

(i think thats the command. it was something to that effect.)
    same thing upon rebooting

Here's my specs:

athlon 2500+
    asus a7n8x-e deluxe (nforce2 chipset)
    ati all-in-wonder 9800 pro

pri master - 120gb western digital
    pri slave - nec dvdrw
    sec master - 160gb maxtor
    sec slave - 40gb western digital

the primary master drive has a few partitions:

17gb or so ext3 for kubuntu
    ~800mb linux swap area
    20gb ntfs windows xp
    5gb ntfs documents
    70gb ntfs storage

and the 160gb maxtor is
    150gb ntfs storage
    5gb ntfs windows swap/temp drive

phew! hope you guys can help me out,

jorwex

Re: Black screen upon booting after install

Hi

Launch Kubuntu in the recovery mode. At the prompt (which will be root) type startx. What error message(s) do you get? Anything obvious? Please report.

This helped me (a relative novice) get out of a very tricky and very similar situation recently.

Ian

Comment

ill try it later, but i think i tried the recovery mode and it did the same black screen thing. ill report back in a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Hi

Launch Kubuntu in the recovery mode. At the prompt (which will be root) type startx. What error message(s) do you get? Anything obvious? Please report.

This helped me (a relative novice) get out of a very tricky and very similar situation recently.

Ian
        I get the same black screen.
        startx works for me in console mode. startkde doesn't...

Comment

Working...
        X