This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving VESA State - Freeze

I am having problems with trying to get dapper to wor on a laptop the laptop.

I had Breezy on there for a while, working fine, I decided to upgrade (by modifying the sources.list and using apt-get).

The upgrade completed successfully, so I rebooted.

On boot the Kubuntu splash screen is displayed, and the boot process reaches Saving VESA State, then seems to freeze. I have also tried a clean install, but booting with the install CD has a simular result, also freezing at the Saving VESA State point.

Could anyone please provide detailed information to help resolve this problem

I have tried reconfiguring x to use sis drivers by pressing Esc when booting, chosing recovery mode and then using:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    but no luck

Thank you in advance,

Gareth.

Re: Saving VESA State - Freeze

when you get to the saving vesa state point, press control + alt + F1 to see what the terminal spits out. Can you startx in recovery mode?
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Hi, thanks for the response.

I get the following:

cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-manufacturer: No such file or directory
      cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-product-name: No such file or directory
      cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-version: No such file or directory
      cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/bios-version: No such file or directory
      * Saving VESA state...

Also tried pressing f6 putting 'noacpi nolapic acpi=off' in the options before the '--' when trying to install from CD, but I get exactly the same as above.

Yes I can startx in recovery, I have done this and used Adept to uninstall the vesa drivers, but still get the same.

Comment

FIX

I got it working by doing the following:

I had breezy installed so I modified my sources.list replacing any references to breezy with dapper, then used apt-get to upgrade.

When booting I pressed ESC and selected recovery mode from the GRUB menu.

Logged in.

then used nano to edit '/etc/default/acpi-support' and changed 'SAVE_VBE_STATE' to 'false'.

Rebooted and it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
        X