Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New user would be extremely grateful for help on installation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New user would be extremely grateful for help on installation.

I am not quite sure how to use this forum; however, I think I'll give it a go anyway.

I was hoping to switch to Kubuntu from Mandriva. I think I shall have to revert to Mandriva because:

1. I can't get my Links wireless USB adapter working. It uses the rt73 driver, which I have copied on my home folder. I tried the ndiswrapper commands; however, I keep receiving the error, "ndiswrapper command not found". I can't find a place to download the ndiswrapper-utils package (I searched the web quite a bit today for this).

2. I can't get my sound card working. I am using PCI-128 Sound Blaster card.

3. The system can't recognize my W2K partition properly (The system won't mount this partition).

4. The system can't recognize my FAT32 partitions properly (The system won't mount these partitions). I must admit that I am most likely at fault for these situations. However, I find that Kubuntu's installer and control panel, while clean and tidy looking, are not nearly as user-friendly as Mandriva's are. Please don't think I'm bashing Kubuntu-I just want to make the switch and until I can get these problems solved, I can't.

I can start my Kubuntu installation over again, if need be, if anyone would be so kind as to offer some assistance with these problems.

Here's a breakdown of my system:

1. AMD Sempron 2400+-1.2 GHZ
    2. 756MB DDR memory
    3. NVIDIA 6200 graphics card with 256MB DDR memory. 4. One W2K NTFS partition.
    5. Two FAT32 partitions
    6. 1 home ext3 partition
    7. 1 Linux swap partition.
    8. 1 root partition.

Any assistance that anyone could provide would be greatly aippreciated. I am looking forward to the possibility of switching to a distro that has a clean & tidy interface in it.

PS. Is it possible to add GNOME to a KUbuntu installation? 

Re: New user would be extremely grateful for help on installation.

1) Can't help
    2) Do you have onboard sound as well as your SB card? If so - try this

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7932.0

3/4 Look here
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

To install Gnome - install ubuntu-desktop with your favourite graphical package manager (e.g. Adept) or at a console type
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Comment

1) in a terminal, type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      to be up to date (if you are on a slow connection, just do sudo apt-get update). Now try
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
      Guides for installing ndiswrapper:
      http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...Ndiswrapper.29
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

Note: Maybe I'm treating your wrongly and you know what your doing, in that case, should you still not be able to apt-get ndiswrapper, download and install the deb from: http://www.artfiles.org/ubuntu.com/a...untu2_i386.deb
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

No, you're not treating me wrongly. The thing is that I am not able to get onto the net in Kubuntu when I install it, so I can't use the sudo apt-get commands you quoted. I can however, get onto the net through w2k (ugh!). Is there some way that I can download these files and associated dependencies manually? Perhaps I can download a set of files and have them manually installed in Kubuntu? Is there some way that I can do this? I would be most grateful for any suggestions that you could provide.

What attracted me first to Kubuntu was the fact that they have many of their menus and panels laid out like osx. I found this to be appealing because you could find what you needed in one place, giving a neat and tidy appearance for the end user, something that is sorely lacking in other distros. I am hoping to overcome these issues and move on to Kubuntu as my main distro.

Comment

download this from your win2k (or a library computer): http://www.artfiles.org/ubuntu.com/a...untu2_i386.deb
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

May I please ask for some additional assistance on Kubuntu?

Here are the problems that I encountered today:

1. I managed to configure dial-up. I thought if I could get a dial-up connection, then I could get my wireless configured after that. I keep receiving the error: "pppd daemon died unexpectedly" This is something that I never had a problem with Mandriva.

2. I tried the "Add/Remove Programs" and I received this error: APT database could not be opened. Perhaps you do not have it configured correctly. I haven't a clue how to get around this one.

3. I tried to login to my regular user. I received this error: Could not start kstartup config-Check your installation.

4. How do I properly mount my w2k partition and also my other ntfs and fat32 partitions? I think I may have made a right mess of things because the sysytem can't mount any of them.

5. How can I properly setup w2k in the bootloader? When I select w2k from the boot menu, I receive the error: Can't deterime file system type" (My w2k partition is ntfs).

I want to thank you for your assistance with my enquiries. I look forward to a fully functional Kubutu installation.

Comment

I had to create a new username because I couldn't reset my password for the old account.

I have successfully setup Kubuntu 6.0.6 on our machine. I have managed to setup wireless with instructions I googled on the web and with the help of extensive 'how-to's' on linuxloader.com.

Vmware has been setup without a hitch. I experienced none of the problems with Vmware on Kubuntu that I experienced with the RPM based distros.

I also deduced that I should accept the default setup when partitioning for install, except that I had to identify which partitions would be used for root and home folders.

The system automatically recognized and configured dual-boot for w2k.

One question I have is can I upgrade when the time comes for the next release? If so, how is this done? I really don't want to do a fresh install every time I upgrade the system.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance already provided and for taking the time to read this latest post.

Comment

open the /etc/apt/sources.list via the konsole using
                Code:
                sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                then change the line entry from dapper to edgy
                then in a konsole write
                sudo apt-get update

then open adept or synaptic and apply the upgrade

you can also get/download the cd and add that to the repositories and update from the cd you will still have to change the sources list to get updates etc
                that is my preferred method ...

Comment

Working...
                X