This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't login to GUI

I've been using Kubuntu for almost two months now and this is the first time I've been completly stumped as to what to do. It's probably something simple, but I've tryed everything I know how to do in my short time with this fine OS. My problem is I can't login to the desktop environment anymore. My user name and password works just fine in console mode, but whenever I try to log in to KDE via the GUI boot screen, the screen goes blank, and it goes right back to the boot screen. No "failed login" or anything. Besides the fact that I can log in to the console just fine, I know I'm entering the right info because I do get the "failed login" message when I enter a bogus password. I've tryed recovery mode, searching google, dancing. Nothing works. What can I do from here?

Re: can't login to GUI

From the A:
    Code:
    format c: /s
    and then hit "Y"

Just kiddin. More info would be helpful. What's the last thing you installed? Have you done any updates lately? It sounds like it could be X giving you problems, or it could be KDM. Have you played with any video settings? What kinda video card do you have? It might be as simple as reinstalling video drivers.

Try:
    Code:
    startx &>output.txt
    This will give us a readout of the potential problem.

Lets start with ruling out X as the problem.

Will

Comment

I have the same problem. Last thing I remember was trying to change the screen resolution, which apparently didnt work.
      Is there anyway to 'reset' the graphics to its default?

Comment

sound's like the problem i had, it just stops at the Kubuntu Splash screen?

Comment

From the logon screen, select console login.

If you can log into a console, run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and enter as much info as you can. If your unsure of something, leave it at whatever it's at.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
            If you can log into a console, run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and enter as much info as you can. If your unsure of something, leave it at whatever it's at.

Josh
            But after that you also need to do:

Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
            to apply the changes, right?

Comment

If I'm correct, and I very well might not be, I'm guessing the problem is in the xorg.config somewhere.  "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" should automatically overwrite the old config file as its last action before dumping you back into the console. If it works correctly, and it usually does, a simple "startx" should get the GUI running.

Josh

Comment

Pals,

I'm newbie to kubuntu. Not sure if i would be of any help here.

I faced exactly the same issue. I was unable to login as user to GUI, but okay with console mode. Also, i was able to login as root to GUI. After breaking my heads for hours, i realized that my disk usage in "/" was 100% lol. I removed some junk files and tried after that, Voila, it worked.

I would take a wild guess that its the same case here too.

Thx,
                Jeeva

Comment

Working...
                X