This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally - Installation Success

I've been trying for some time to install Kubuntu Dapper Drake on an old Compal CR10 laptop, with notably little success. The live CD worked just fine, but the install would go through a lot of disk thrashing, slow displays, lockups and generally frustrating crashes.

Here's what finally worked:

First, I booted the live CD using the memory check option, wandered off and made some lunch. Came back later to discover that no memory errors were found, even though a cat was sleeping on the keyboard.

Next, I removed the cat from the keyboard, then booted the live CD using the check CD option. The result of this check was no errors found on the live CD.

Next, I booted to a C: prompt in the old buggy Win98 OS that came on the laptop and ran scandisk. This disclosed a variety of directory errors and lost sectors. I told the scandisk program to automatically fix each error.

A follow-up surface scan, performed while I fended off the cat while PIRATE!ing the Caribbean on a much newer Compaq laptop, revealed no underlying problems with the disk.

Next, I booted Kubuntu from the live CD using the safe video option, on the assumption that there might be something odd going on with the ATI video on this 4 year old laptop. Kubuntu booted from the CD as it had done several times before and seemed to be working normally.

Finally, I put the cat in the next room, closed the door, held my breath and clicked the install icon. To my surprise, amazement and great relief after a dozen or so previous crashes, the install proceeded normally without further incident. I've now got a working Linux-based system for the first time in about 2 years in XP hell and looking forward to reacquainting myself with an actual functioning OS.

Next step is to figure out how to get Firefox working... With due respect to Konquerer, I was surprised that Firefox didn't come with the Kubuntu installation.

Regards, John Kinney

Re: Finally - Installation Success

Glad to read all is well. Time to ditch the cat and get a fish. Sometimes going back to square one with scandisk is all it takes. Firefox is the default browser for Ubuntu, but not for Kubuntu obviously. To get Firefox, you can either download the source from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox browse to the wherever you extracted it to in Konsole and type
    Code:
    ./firefox
    (hardest method) or you can install the package from Adept, or you can open Konsole and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    As far as file browsing with Firefox, do a search on here on how to make Firefox the default for both web and file browsing. I haven't done this as of yet cuz Konqueror is fine for me for file browsing, so I couldn't tell you the steps involved.

Hope this helps,

Will

Comment

I've just checked with Synaptic, and the only apps that may help you with your feline problems would be catdoc and catdvi.

On the KDE side, Kat or Katalog may be of some use, but I would really recommend Katapult as your answer to your moggy problem.

Or buy a goldfish and Keep it away from your Keyboard.

Cheers

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by cLuEdArT
        Glad to read all is well. Time to ditch the cat and get a fish. Sometimes going back to square one with scandisk is all it takes. Firefox is the default browser for Ubuntu, but not for Kubuntu obviously. To get Firefox, you can either download the source from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox browse to the wherever you extracted it to in Konsole and type
        Code:
        ./firefox
        (hardest method) or you can install the package from Adept, or you can open Konsole and type
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install firefox
        As far as file browsing with Firefox, do a search on here on how to make Firefox the default for both web and file browsing. I haven't done this as of yet cuz Konqueror is fine for me for file browsing, so I couldn't tell you the steps involved.

Hope this helps,

Will
        Actually I'm wondering whether Kitty Keyboard Karma may have been the real benefit in this case. This is a very friendly elderly Maine Coon Cat. Perhaps I could loan her out as a Kubuntu installation aid.

I found Adept and figured out to use it to install Firefox and a couple of friendly old utilities from before XP hell. Someone elsewhere in the forum helped me find and install igal, and I was pleased to find that Kubuntu easily found and mounted my USB external disk drive with all the old backup data on it.

I had a little trouble getting Kubuntu to read/write to the other (XP) laptops on my network, but managed to work though it successfully.

Installing my printers worked easily -- much better than the old days.

Anyway, so far so good. I need to figure out how to backup the system to an external drive, and the preliminary setup will mostly be accomplished.

Regards, John Kinney

Comment

i disagree, i believe the cat was the KEY to the installation success.

cats know lots of stuff and the secret combination of keys it was pressing while appearing to sleep on the keyboard did the trick.

i hope you have a picture of the beast as your desktop.

cheers,

derek

Comment

Working...
          X