This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't login to system

I have Kubuntu installed on my machine, but I wanted to try out gnome, so I installed ubuntu-desktop on my machine. Everything was working fine, until I rebooted. I told it that KDE was my default desktop, but now, the gnome login screen will come on, but only for about 5 seconds, then the black Kubuntu splashscreen will come on, but just sit there. There is a blue bar underneath the Kubuntu logo, but that is it. There is no place to type or anything.

How can I fix this without reinstalling? Can you not have 2 desktops easily?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can't login to system

The first thing to do is to get your system up and running once more. Restart your computer. If you don't see a menu within the first few seconds after it finishes running the BIOS checks, hit the Esc key and then the down arrow. This will enable you to start in the second choice on the Grub menu, recovery mode. You will find yourself in a full screen, black-and-white console with full administrative privileges, so be careful. Spelling and punctuation count. Type these 2 commands
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11/
    nano -B default-display-manager
    You will now be running a simple console editor called nano. Nano doesn't know about fancy things like mice, so you will have to use you arrow keys to navigate. Fortunately, you are editing a one line file. If it says "/usr/sbin/gdm", change it to say
    Code:
    /usr/bin/kdm
    Don't forget the carriage return. Now, type Ctl-O to save the file, and ctl-X to exit nano. Then, back in the console, type
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    Your system will reboot with the usual KDM login screen. BUT, BEFORE TYPING YOUR PASSWORD, CLICK ON MENU (in the lower right corner of the login box) THEN CLICK "Session Type", and "KDE".

Now you can enter your password. Your computer should come up in KDE. If this works, the next time you start up click Gnome instead of KDE.

Comment

Re: Can't login to system

Thanks for your help on this. I followed your instructions, and it is working fine now.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
      X