This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reboot I could no longer start X or kde

this isn't really a question but more of a statement of a problem i had that i fixed myself (somewhat of a linux noob) that i though i'd post about in the hopes it might be to someone else's benefit.

using kubuntu 6.06.1, kde 3.5.3, x11 7.0, kernel 2.6.15.7 i686

i was installing/uninstalling some packages and i rebooted.  then i couldn't get to the graphical user login.  kubuntu stayed on the loading screen with the progress bar blank with nothing else on the screen and wouldn't do anything.   i can confirm mostly everything loaded correctly (except x and/or kde) cuz i checked it out from recovery mode.  i don't know what i did to cause it.

i started in recovery mode again and typed startx and this is what it said:  (all the usual stuff then
    Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Undefined InputDevice "stylus" referenced by Server Layout "Default Layout".
    (EE) Problem parsing the config file
    (EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    XI0: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 resquests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

so to fix the problem i did sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and commented out the whole server section and typed startx.  kde started but hung on the loading of the window manager so i manually rebooted with normal startup and all i good again.   
    <br />

Re: After reboot I could no longer start X or kde

look at the posts from ~ two weeks ago about the problematic xserver-core package...your problem sounds exactly like what those who upgraded to the broken package experienced.

Comment

Working...
    X