This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffer I/O error on device hdd1, logical block {number}

After installing Kubuntu succesfully on my machine. I am getting numerous buffer I/O errors during system boot-up. This results in a failed Kubuntu startup and forced fsck.

Code:
    Buffer I/O error on device hdd1, logical block {number}
    It doesn't look like hdd1 is broken as I was able to succesfully install the system from the Kubuntu live-cd image (kubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386). Additionaly there were no previous signs of harddisk failure before I installed Kubuntu on this disk.

Re: Buffer I/O error on device hdd1, logical block {number}

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I did a bit of googling and my guess is that you've got a H/W problem. From the fact that we're talking about "hdd1", you seem to have three other hard drives to try. If you've gone through a couple of fsck cycles, your installation is probably hosed by this point anyway. If you're sure that the CD was burned properly, you can try to re-install on hdd, but don't be too disappointed if it crashes again. You're probably going to have to free up 10 to 15 GB on one of your other hard drives so you can install there.

This is one time that I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I really doubt that my harddisk is broken as checking the disk from windows with Maxtor tools does not show any problems with the disk. Strangely enough I get similar messages orginating from other devices, while booting the live-cd.

Code:
      Buffer I/O error on device dm-6, logical block {number}
      It is not that I have crappy hardware installed... There must be some other source for these messages.

I found hte KSystemLog (after booting the live-cd again)... Every single disk seems to generate this kind of messages. Could have something to do with the IDE controller?

Looks the next topic discusses a similar problem. I'm going to try the hdd on a single cable as bus master.

http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/viewtopic.php?p=2517

What it means is that your system is not properly supporting the dma level
      gentoo is trying to boot with. For example, I used to have the same
      problem on my system when booting due to incomplete support for dma100 but
      since I restricted the drive to a maximum of dma66 I've solved the
      problem.

The problem can be caused by a dma66 cable when the system is trying to
      set to dma100, or it's especially bad if you've got a second disk as slave
      and they are not the same brand. I've seen the same problem with a dma66
      maxtor connected as slave to a dma100 IBM and the same thing when I had an
      internal iomega zip drive connected to the ibm drive.

Comment

I have same problem on my hdb. It is connected through 80-pin ATA cable and I don't think my IDE controller is broken because it worked properly for a long time.
        Will keep you updated.

-------
        I forgot to mention that I am using Edgy Eft Beta 1.

Comment

Working...
        X