X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiveCD[BAD] atl-text-install[GOOD] Standard Boot[BAD] Recovery Boot[GOOD]

Hey Everyone,
    THE PROBLEM:
         I tried to install Kubuntu 6.06 i386 using the Live CD. At the load screen I selected "Start or Install" and after the splash screen with the progress bar completed to load text started scrolling indicating install of hardware and software and all followed by "[OK]'s". Then the screen would clear with a cursor at the top left and then my computer would lock up (I waited for 30 min). ALT-F#'s and ALT-CTRL-DEL didn't work, no response in anyway from anything. I tried several boot paramiters all ending with the same result.
         I then downloaded the Alternate Text install version 6.06 i386. That installed with no problems then ejected the disc and rebooted. At GRUB I selected the default kernal at the top and the splash screen "same as the Live CD" popped up and the start-up text scrolls with the progress bar under the splash. Then the screen clears and a white watch icon (the busy cursor) pops up in the middle of the screen and then my computer locks up again with no response from any input.

WHAT WORKS:
         I "hard" shut down the computer and start it back up. At GRUB I select the 2nd Kernal (the one for recovery) and it loads me to root in command line. I can start KDE with "startx"

WHAT I HAVE DONE TO TROUBLESHOOT:
         The original display driver in my "xorg.conf" was "ati". I then installed the "fglrx" driver following the Desktop Manual intructions from the Kubuntu.org DOCUMENTS page. I got an error messege on the second step (sudo depmod -a ; sudo modprobe fglrx) but don't remeber what it was. I am still having the same problem. Here is a portion of my xorg.conf ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Xpress 200M (RS480)"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Xpress 200M (RS480)"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HARDWARE:
    Compaq Presario V2000
    CPU: AMD Turion64 MT-30
    Video: ATI X200M with 128MB shared
    Screen: 14" WXGA
    RAM: 2GB
    Chipset: ATI X200M

If you need more details just ask. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Please forgive any ignorance.

Re: LiveCD[BAD] atl-text-install[GOOD] Standard Boot[BAD] Recovery Boot[GOOD]

It seems that the live CD does not start... I guess it is a notebook so you can try to pass the option vga=791 at boot if not, just try to install using the alternate cd

Comment

Hi seems to be an issue with ati and the default drivers, though I thought it was only a problem with the X800 series, see my thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7950.0

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. As I stated in the 1st post, I did install the alternate text CD after all attemps to load from the Live CD (including the VGA=771 and 791) failed. The alternate text CD installed all the way but will not start from the normal default mode, I have to boot from the recovery mode and start my KDE useing startx as root. And as I said in my 1st post I already installed the "fglrx" driver.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

P.S. It is a laptop.

Comment

Working...
        X